Lithium Batteries and GT Suzukis

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
drfeelgood

Lithium Batteries and GT Suzukis

Post by drfeelgood »

Good morning. Anyone successfully used a Lithium battery on a GT Suzuki without causing damage to regulator, rectifier or other charging system components? I'm using them on other bikes with success but wondered about use on a '70's two stroke. Thank you.
Roger Ackery

Re: Lithium Batteries and GT Suzukis

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, don't know about early Suzuki's,
I have friend with two stroke Aprilia"s
All well wth them,so I'd think you'd be ok 8-) I'm using Mottbat in my Kettle all good after 3 years now.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
drfeelgood

Post by drfeelgood »

Thanks Roger. Just a bit worried about burning out a half century old electrical system......
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I think I read somewhere that you have to be careful as the reg/rec can set a lithium battery on fire as they are incompatible. You may need to change that first.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
teazer

Post by teazer »

AFAIK, you cannot use a Lithium battery with an old fashioned mechanical regulator. Charging voltage has to be more tightly controlled top avoid overcharging and overheating.

Fit a modern Regulator/rectifier and a separate, fused, sensor voltage line if you use a Lithium battery.

It is arguably possible to use an old style regulator, but you would have to be 110% sure that it was set to exactly the charge rate that the battery needed. I personally would not take that chance of burning a bike to the ground. Update the electrics to modern solid state components and you're set.