Radiator repairs

gladders

Radiator repairs

Post by gladders »

Stripping the bike for refurb and the small pipe to the overflow bottle has snapped off, looks like it has been repaired before, tried a couple of radiator repair shops in Sheffield and Leeds but not willing to take it on, could anyone recommend a repairer?
Thanks in advance
Gladders
GT750B, CBX1000, Ducati Multistrada 1200s
lairdofsmoke

Re: Radiator repairs

Post by lairdofsmoke »

How what method of repair was made before, you may be able to recreate it. The alloy is too thin to weld/ally braze, used to be a place in Warwick used to do it, if they are still in business, I think they were called Warwick radiators, so maybe search for a good used on, if you're lucky, to find a good one, plenty of crap being unloaded to the unsuspecting.
Could possibly make up a new takeoff but would be a bodge job through!.
On fragrant cloud
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Pm Sent.
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
gladders

Post by gladders »

big thanks to Itsnotateapot for helping me out with spare radiators to repair mine, top man :D
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh, who's the repairer then P...spot !
Sorry, I mean itsnotateapot :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

60 squid for a new 'un.
CLICKY LINKY
Saves farting about repairing t'owd'un.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
gladders

Post by gladders »

Alan H wrote:60 squid for a new 'un.
CLICKY LINKY
Saves farting about repairing t'owd'un.
I had looked at those but remember a mate buying something similar for his LC and it leaked like a sieve
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Got one on mine and it's tip top. Mind you, it's not tainted with yamawamabingbong stuff........ :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Got one on my A model kettle too, looks the dogs b######s. The only thing that didn't look right was the silver coloured grill on an ally rad', so the quick fix for that was paint the grill black and now it looks perfick.
Purist please form an orderly queue :o
P.S. The ally rad's that you can buy off ebay for around £60 are an unbelievably good quality piece of kit for the price. My original rad' was blocked and remained so after several attempts to flush it, so I bought the ally replacement off ebay. It has a much larger capacity than the originaI and I could tell the difference immediately, because once the engine has warmed up you can easily tell when the thermostat is opening and closing as the rad' gets noticably hotter and then cooler. So I think it's doing the job much better than the original.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
gladders

Post by gladders »

stevewharton wrote:Got one on my A model kettle too, looks the dogs b######s. The only thing that didn't look right was the silver coloured grill on an ally rad', so the quick fix for that was paint the grill black and now it looks perfick.
Purist please form an orderly queue :o
P.S. The ally rad's that you can buy off ebay for around £60 are an unbelievably good quality piece of kit for the price. My original rad' was blocked and remained so after several attempts to flush it, so I bought the ally replacement off ebay. It has a much larger capacity than the originaI and I could tell the difference immediately, because once the engine has warmed up you can easily tell when the thermostat is opening and closing as the rad' gets noticably hotter and then cooler. So I think it's doing the job much better than the original.
Good point about the crud in the original rad, mine did tend to run a bit warm,