750 Engine help please

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Jacobscreek

750 Engine help please

Post by Jacobscreek »

Hi all. Me again. Took the 750L out for a first trip round the block. Wanted to get a feel for what might be required to make it useable since buying it and registering it. I pulled over after a few miles to inspect it and found sump oil coming from a hole near the 2 stroke oil pump. This hasn't happened while running it occasionally in the garage. What are your thoughts, diagnosis and ideas etc please? Here's a pic of said hole
DSC_0008.JPG
Last edited by Jacobscreek on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Ackery

Re: 750 Engine help please

Post by Roger Ackery »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 602 times
;) Hi,please read recent Post "Uh oh ! "
by teebowbusablaster, similar problem to yours
What colour is the two stroke oil ?
What colour is the transmission oil ?
Have you changed the gear box oil lately, or maybe previous owner has overfilled it !!

If you remove the oil pump housing you will see behind it a chimney on top of the crankcase,this is the crankcase breather,oil from here indicates that the crankshaft oil seals have failed (oR the gear box has been overfilled,should have 2,200cc of oil in there,
Slightly more if engine has been apart recently.how does the bike run generally ?
See attached photo of crankcase Breather.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

I've just remembered leaving the fuel tap on prime for a few weeks doh. I'm wondering if fuel has flooded the crank case??? Two stroke oil is blue and sump oil was brown. The stuff coming out does appear to have some other liquid in it changing its colour and texture. I'll have a thorough read of that post later
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

The bike ran very well considering it had been unused for donkeys years. Things are adding up now. As I rode it the clutch seemed to lose a bit of performance and the gears became a bit harder to get. I'm hoping it's just my stupidity and the oil level has been raised with fuel therefore affecting the clutch too. Does that sound feasible?
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Also the bike starts very easily hot or cold. I only have to look at the start button and it fires up on all 3.
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Update. Bike is on centre stand and I've removed the gearbox level plug/bolt. Cloudy oil is trickling out and still running after 10 minutes. Today was the first time I've started the bike since leaving fuel tap on prime. Nowt had emitted from that hole before. I'm praying that an oil drain and replacement and a kick in the private parts to remind me not to use prime position again. Has anyone else ever flooded their crank case with fuel?
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Oh yes :oops: very embarrassing and a right pain in the neck to sort. I'd ran out of petrol and pushed it to the garage, filled up and put it on prime to start and it stayed on prime until I went back to it a week later. :o Luckily I spotted it before trying to start the engine, but then a right palaver draining the crankcase of fuel (loads). Much better than the damage that could have been caused by trying to start it though.
Hope yours is an easy fix too.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

I've emptied the sump and reckon there's at least half a litre too much in plus whatever got belched out on the road. I'll flush it with some cheap oil tomorrow before putting some decent stuff in. I feel such a klutz. Fingers crossed that's all it is but knowing my luck :?
slosher

Post by slosher »

Any update on the motor :?: Had pretty much the same symtoms when i purchased my Kettle started very easy on the button and after a few miles seem to loose the clutch adjusted it but even now when stood in traffic cable will need adjusting but 8yrs on still running fine.I think when they have been stood they just need to be used :D
P.S. One thing not to do is fill her up with Diesel :oops: :oops:

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teebowbusablaster

Post by teebowbusablaster »

A lucky escape, I hope, fingers crossed for you.
Oddly enough, while the failed crankseals on the kettle were being sorted, I bought a GS850 to potter about on, and that had a sump full of fuel, but gallons of the stuff.
Opened the sump plug t do an oil change and flooded my garage, left it to vent overnight, filled it up with nice new oil the following day (and filter), ran it for about 30 miles, and did another complete change. Seems to have survived, but now the Kettle is back, and seemingly running alright, even managed a 15 mile run last night with nothing falling off, leaking or giving up the ghost.