Oil

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Jacobscreek

Oil

Post by Jacobscreek »

Am I OK using semi synthetic oil when I change my engine oil on my Gt750L? Your advice would be appreciated cheers.
barney01

Re: Oil

Post by barney01 »

HI
Firstly just need to confirm engine oil goes in the tank and is fed by pump to the cylinders. Transmission oil goes in the gearbox.
Using semi synthetic oil for the engine is fine but just make sure if you were using mineral oil before that you drain the tank as they don't mix well and it causes 'glooping' which is similar to clotting.
Using anything other than mineral oil in your gearbox is not recommended as anything synthetic can cause the clutch plates to stick together and slip.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Cheers Barney
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

Any oil that meets JASO MA standard (wet clutch spec) is fine.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Cheers Batts
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I've been trying to understand the JASO MA standard for a while. The oil I use (Motul Transoil Mineral), does not have that on it, although it specifically says it is for wet clutches. Presumably not all oils are tested to this standard. I've also seen reference to GL4 which is the API rating and that relates to the gearbox standard I think. Of course many folks use a classic 20/50 which I don't suppose meets any of these standards. I've used 20/50 myself but I get less clutch drag from cold with the Motul Transoil so have stuck with that.

A bit confusing isn't it :?
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red