Oil Leak

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
tonygu1000

Oil Leak

Post by tonygu1000 »

Hi
My kettle is running brilliant done about 600 miles since complete engine rebuild. The thing is its sprung a bit of an oil leak and I cant for the life of me work out where its coming from . It seem to happen when it is left on the side stand after a good run its on the left hand side at the front of the engine . Does this ring any bells with anyone . Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers Tony
malky

Re: Oil Leak

Post by malky »

Probably coming from the seal behind the points plate - it tends to drip off the wiring where it comes through the casing
Mal.
tonygu1000

Post by tonygu1000 »

Hi Mal

I will check that out can this seal be changed with the engine in the frame
malky

Post by malky »

Yes you have to take the points plate out if I remember correctly -it's been a while since I've been in there
Mal.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

tonygu1000 wrote:Hi
My kettle is running brilliant done about 600 miles since complete engine rebuild. The thing is its sprung a bit of an oil leak and I cant for the life of me work out where its coming from . It seem to happen when it is left on the side stand after a good run its on the left hand side at the front of the engine . Does this ring any bells with anyone . Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers Tony
Check the simple stuff first Tony

Retorque the crankcase bolts. The will have bedded in by now and may need a slight nip up

Check that the bolt in the picture has a fibre washer only fitted. (Picture pinched from Ian's website!)
GT750 crank fibre washer position.png
It is the only bolt that needs this and if it isn't fitted you will get a small, persistent oil leak

Make sure the two screws holding the gear position indicator switch are sufficiently tight as oil escapes from there. You may need to check the o ring on that as well.

make sure the screws holding on the left hand crank covers are also sufficiently tight

Check the SRIS valves and pipes at the front of the engine for leaks

Kev
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Kev, good advice,
I've had a leak from the seal behind the timing plate for sometime now, I'm a little lazy to fix it :?: I have the seal & the crankcase cover gasket, just need motivation :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
tonygu1000

Post by tonygu1000 »

Hi

That's some good info I had another look yesterday put the bike on wood blocks to raise up so I could get right under it very annoying still cant be sure where its coming from. I have tightened up the left cover was a bit lose and checked the gear change switch . Also checked the points cover and all look dry in there so don't think that's the problem.
So if its still there its crackcase bolts . Well maybe I should not be that bothered I had british bikes in the past rode into garage and put a try under and topped the oil up once a week we called it constant loss lubrication !!

Thanks for your help
widget

Post by widget »

What about the cover behind the sprocket?...