What to do ?

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Dale74L

What to do ?

Post by Dale74L »

Hi guys

Wondering what todo with the bike ??????

Picked up a 76 A model a few months ago which I knew needed a restoration, when I got to collect the bike it was a non runner however the guy assured me it was a runner. Got it home and found the fuel tap was the wrong one and wasn’t letting petrol through. Hooked up my portable tank and it ran with no problems. I was thinking of doing a light resto, but got to stage of the more I checked things the more problems I’ve found. So it sits with the engine in situ.

My only worry is the main label on the steering column, how do you replace it and it’s details on it. ?????
Attachments
7C231FA3-A469-4112-9478-C92FDC77430C.jpeg
EF09A727-73D6-4ADF-A77E-2C98EFB8122D.jpeg
AAECE1E6-53FA-45C6-932E-453101174B8D.jpeg
PaulD738

Re: What to do ?

Post by PaulD738 »

I used a company in Switzerland (I think) I sent them a photo of the original and they did this for me. Problem is I can’t remember who they are?
Attachments
E7B81B67-B0CD-4C0A-AF29-AB807E4C0439.png
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Dale74L

Post by Dale74L »

Hi Paul

that’s great news,I can get my google search head on and find them, also I can strip the engine out and get it all powder coated now :)
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Is the headstock not stamped on the other side?
Dale74L

Post by Dale74L »

Hi

Yes it’s stamped with the frame number, I was asking if these are available, I’ve found the site Paul got his vin label which means I can remove mine and have the frame powder coated.

Cheers
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Dale74L wrote:Hi

Yes it’s stamped with the frame number, I was asking if these are available, I’ve found the site Paul got his vin label which means I can remove mine and have the frame powder coated.

Cheers
If you have an imported bike and are going to get a DVLA age related plate don’t forget to photograph the stamped frame number before you send it off for powder coating! I forgot to do this with my T500 and had to file the powder coat off the headstock as the coating obscured the number :oops:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

Dale74L

Post by Dale74L »

I found the company in Switzerland who you had your vin done by. They emailed back to say they don’t do them anymore due to the cables erasing the decal. They said people are having Ali plates made for their bikes.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Sorry I forgot to mention mine is an aluminium plate :oops:
They are very good though, easy to bend around the headstock and they even come with the little blind rivets and the correct drill to do the job. The only thing is you have to stamp your own vin number on as apparently it’s illegal for them to do it in Switzerland ?

Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Hi Aussie GT's came with the Alloy Plate on the Headstock all the info stamped on it,
Including the passing of Australian Design Rules, I'll take a photo in the morning ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.