Gearbox oil

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
2strokejohnny

Gearbox oil

Post by 2strokejohnny »

so i changed all the oil on me bikes and i never usually check the inspection bolt but decided to check the kettle after filling up the recommended 2200 but it isn't coming out the hole,i don't really want to add anymore than 2200 as i measured it out carefully,any thoughts ? 2sj
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
barney01

Re: Gearbox oil

Post by barney01 »

I never use the bolt just measure it in and out. :D
Only time to put more in is after a rebuild.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hi John, just done mine and put in 2200ml as recommended, however as nothing came out of the level hole when checked I topped it up until oil did start coming out, big mistake and I should've known better.
Next time I went out for a ride oil started leaking past the kickstart shaft oil seal, so I removed the level screw and caught about 200ml in a jar.
So I guess it's just a case of putting the correct amount of oil in and letting it settle. That's 2500ml after a complete strip down and 2200ml after an oil change.
The one good thing is, I now know that a new kickstart shaft seal is needed. :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

thanks, don't know why i decided to check oil this way after 11 years !!!
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hey John, I've owned mine 32 years and I still make silly mistakes. :o :roll: :oops:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".