GT380M Restoration

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Peter

GT380M Restoration

Post by Peter »

Hi All,

I have been lurking on here for a while and spoken to a few of the members but thought it was time for me to start a build thread.

I acquired my GT in 2015 from my late Uncle where it was shipped to me in Northern Ireland. In order to preserve the bike I am completing a full restore. I have built up some bits and pieces over the last few years but only got it into my own garage at the start of this year to begin the full strip down.

This is a pic of the GT (and a Lambretta that my Dad has since fully restored) before it left England.
IMG_2202.jpg
IMG_2201.jpg
Then another pic of the bike before being stripped. At this point I have the tank etc painted so it's away for safe keeping.
IMG_3034.jpg
Once stripped I had the frame powder coated and have had majority of bits chrome plated. I then built a bench to work on the bike.
IMG_5155.jpg
So far, I have offered up the rear mud guard with the grab rail which seem to fit ok.
58681761170__37438637-DA64-4F25-A2BB-14561A0654EE.jpg
Tonight, I went to fit the Hagon shocks but noticing a fit issue where the shroud is fowling the grab rail. Has anyone else had this issue or can see where I've went wrong?
IMG_5325.jpg
IMG_5326.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg
IMG_5328.jpg
Thanks,

Peter
Last edited by Peter on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Re: GT380M Restoration

Post by Peter »

So, after trying to move the rail there still was not enough clearance. I spoke to Hagon and they are sending me out a different spring retainer that will push the shroud and spring down and give me the clearance I need. I’ll post more pics once I get that fitted.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi Peter nice bike you have a nice bike there which will look even better when you have finished the rest! I always fancied having a go at doing a Lambaretta but never actually got around to it.
I see you are fitting that lift rail behind the shock absorber instead of the outside. Have a look at your previous photo.
See if that work's?
IncidentIy i see your new shocks have the long shroud not the shorter ones that were fitted to the M Model
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Barney, yes hopefully I will do it some justice once complete!

I’m pretty sure the grab rail goes to the inside of the shock but I will double check.
Yeh, the long shroud is a problem for the M but Hagon only make them with a shroud of that length. It’s 82mm which is in between the factory short and long shroud.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I was looking at your 3rd picture where it's on the outside :roll:
If you were feeling brave and bothered about it you could keep your original shrouds. Look here
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... oud#p64960
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I think Barneys talking about the lift rail, not the grab rail.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh yes! Question! Is that lift rail standard on a 380M? I don’t think I’ve saw another with this or else every pic is from the other side of the bike
Peter

Post by Peter »

barney01 wrote:I was looking at your 3rd picture where it's on the outside :roll:
If you were feeling brave and bothered about it you could keep your original shrouds. Look here
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... oud#p64960
I will need to dismantle the hagons to put on the new spacer so I might do a trial and see if the existing shroud will go over the Hagon spring. Good shout!
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I have Hagons on my kettle and the springs are a bit beefier than on the original shocks, so I don't think the original shroud will fit over the Hagon spring.
Could be wrong, I have been many times before :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yeh I think you are correct!

Do you know about the lift rail? It came on my bike but wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be there or not.