Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote:That’s wot you get fer running it on re-cycled chip fat you tight bugger :lol:
Not recycled. T'was fresh stuff.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hopefully the engine will be back in my garage some time very soon. Then the real work starts!
BAZ

SHORT 550 ENGINE..

Post by BAZ »

Lower engine sorted for Mr H
Attachments
DSC09899.jpg
DSC09894.jpg
DSC09891.jpg
DSC09889.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Woohoo! And most of the rest is in here -
20190921_154600.jpg
Ready to be re-united with the big bit!!
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Looks good :)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Due to other stuff going on - caravan, holidays, family issues etc. - the Earwig engine has been sat sitting for a bit, so I had a play today and got all the engine rubbers and spacers fitted ready for the engine to go back in.
The frame needs a good wipe down, then it can be built up and hopefully got running as good or better than before.
Lots of other things to do on it to get back to as good or better condition than before, so hopefully with the 'new' garage floor covering in, the mancave will be a bit warmer so I can actually get in there this winter and do things.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

It's always satisfying building back up. And there's the excitement of the first start up to look forward to as well Alan. Hope mine is back from Baz soon so that I can get on with the build up too, before it gets too cold in the garage.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh, it's not that simple - I should be picking up my 550J engine in a couple of weeks, so I need the A engine in the frame at least so I've got 'some' room to work on the J.
It never ends really. How on earth I ever had time to work is beyond me!! :lol:
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Alan - have finally finished reading through this thread. The Earwig is a thing of beauty, and I've already picked up a few ideas/tips for when I'm building up my madcap hybrid. Most of which I've already forgotten, but I now I'm building up a mental list of threads to re-read when I'm a bit further down the track.

A few pages back you mentioned to picked up the Earwig & a J for HARR MUCH!? (see I'm picking up the lingo round here already...). I wish I could find a complete bike for circa £500! Seems they've either skyrocketed in price in the last 5 years (I can see that being a distinct possibility now that they are past the 40yr mark), or the importers are taking the urine! I'll be paying £875 for a K Frame/Tank/Engine/Carbs of dubious condition! The price we (or idiots like me) pay for a bit of 2 Stroke joy in our lives...

You should have the Earwig back on the road in time for summer eh!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

2StrokeDreamer wrote:Alan - have finally finished reading through this thread. The Earwig is a thing of beauty, and I've already picked up a few ideas/tips for when I'm building up my madcap hybrid. Most of which I've already forgotten, but I now I'm building up a mental list of threads to re-read when I'm a bit further down the track.

A few pages back you mentioned to picked up the Earwig & a J for HARR MUCH!? (see I'm picking up the lingo round here already...). I wish I could find a complete bike for circa £500! Seems they've either skyrocketed in price in the last 5 years (I can see that being a distinct possibility now that they are past the 40yr mark), or the importers are taking the urine! I'll be paying £875 for a K Frame/Tank/Engine/Carbs of dubious condition! The price we (or idiots like me) pay for a bit of 2 Stroke joy in our lives...

You should have the Earwig back on the road in time for summer eh!
Well, if you need spares, let me know.
A Piper 3-1, or standard exhaust bits, or engine spares, or hydraulics, or maybe a Campbray rear disc wheel wheel, or....but I paid less than £600 for the Earwig AND the engineless Yeti. It's just a case of watching and a bit of luck. I only paid a tad over £600 for the green 550k, but it did take 3 years to do. I sold a fairly complete 550K early last year for £500 too. The GS wheels and swing arm fit easy, and can be put back standard without a problem if you need to.

And perhaps the Earwig may have another identity when it's back on the road this year. 8-) Watch the thread, plans are afoot.