Clutching at straws? 0r mebbe not.

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Clutching at straws? 0r mebbe not.

Post by Alan H »

Ahh, that's fine Barney. It appears that the PO (who was actually the PO of the 550J as well appears to be a serial abuser of 550s!
The J appears to be the victim of a major off and that destroyed the crankcases hence why the engine (less crankcases) was in a box when I bought the bikes and now has the engine from a spares bike I bought earlier! THAT engine is 14 numbers off what was in originally, so was probably built the same day. What's the odds of 'dropping on' that eh?
I've had to dig deep into my stash of spares for the J though.
The clutch issue was from the original on the bike and in the main has been ok, with one or two slips and trips as previously mentioned, but did have to have the clutch fingers filed originally as they were badly worn. I'll have to go through all my notes to find out what else I found during the dis/remantle.
Earwig rebuild

Red 550 info
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D thanks guys will do appreciate the help as usual, many thanks :lol: :lol: :D frank .
Frankibaby :lol:
quark77

Post by quark77 »

Alan i have no 5 ( thrust washer) for the later clutch if you need it !
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Started building the Earwig engine and as I still can't find the bloody plastic washers for the oil injection banjos, I decided to fit the oil pump (I found one pin so at least I can do one engine!) Ordered some more plaggy washers for the extortionate fee of £2.75 for a hundred and 250mm of 3mm steel rod which is enough to make 18 pins for 22p each!! Wonder what Suzuki charge....
Anyway, fitted the pump and started on the clutch. Checked everything as it went back together and noticed that the bolts were 20mm instead of 16mm as they should be, which might be the reason that the clutch slipped occasionally. So tomorrow's job is to get some correct bolts, or mebbe just shorten the 20mm ones a bit so they go a bit deeper before they bottom.
And the new 'spare' clutch plates look like they might be completely wrong. Bugger.
Nowt straightforward is there? 
Proof that four strokes are over complicated