Temp sender/sensor

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Jacobscreek

Temp sender/sensor

Post by Jacobscreek »

Hi all, hope you're all staying well. I'm on a brain pick mission. My GT750L temp gauge goes nuts once a certain temp is achieved. It hits the hot stopper on the gauge but the bike isn't really hot or steaming or owt. I've cleaned up the connections with no success so am moving on to replace the temp sender/sensor in the thermostat housing. Has anyone found an off the shelf replacement from a car shop or any place else rather than get a genuine expensive one that might not cure the fault? You're help and experience would be greatly appreciated
stevewharton

Re: Temp sender/sensor

Post by stevewharton »

Just seen one on ebay, £14.95, freepost, new, Legend motorcycles.
Hope this helps.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Cheers Steve. At that price it doesn't really matter if it isn't the cause of the problem after changing it.
megsdad

Post by megsdad »

Jacobscreek wrote:Hi all, hope you're all staying well. I'm on a brain pick mission. My GT750L temp gauge goes nuts once a certain temp is achieved. It hits the hot stopper on the gauge but the bike isn't really hot or steaming or owt. I've cleaned up the connections with no success so am moving on to replace the temp sender/sensor in the thermostat housing. Has anyone found an off the shelf replacement from a car shop or any place else rather than get a genuine expensive one that might not cure the fault? You're help and experience would be greatly appreciated
I purchased one from ebay some 6 years ago, resulting in no difference. Gauge had always read high just short of red. Had checked all obvious area incl water temp, thermostat, gauge earthing via the bulb holder etc. Had the gauge on the bench with DC power supply and variable resistor mimicking the thermistor resistance at 90 C, sure enough it read too high. The gauge is also very sensitive to fluctuating DC voltage levels.It read correctly at 7.2 volts input !. In the end I replaced the bulb for a LED and placed in a heatshrink sleeve so removing ground to the gauge backplate. Then built a small solid state regulator, broke the 12V line and placed this before the gauge. It has been fine for the last 6 years. The supply voltage on the bike varies anyway, even with a solid state main rectifier / regulator which made me think these very sensitive coil gauges must have some form of old fashioned contact regulator within them ?
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Cheers Megsdad. Lots to think about and consider there.