Mending a broken lug on steering stem (GT380)

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Mending a broken lug on steering stem (GT380)

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
About 30years ago some \\\\\ tried to nick my GT380B from outside my house in Pompey.
They broke off the right-most of the two lugs welded to the steering stem / tube, between which the steering lock bolt slides when it is turned.
So my steering lock has not worked for a long time!
Like an idiot, when I restored it in 2006 ish, I didn't seize the chance to fix this.
Now I want to - but question: other than taking it to bits and sending the frame off for repair, do any of you live local enough to me and have a welder you could help me do it with? I am in Kent CT3 1RT.
My hope is that if I strip the front end and remove the tank, I can weld a home-made lug replacement onto the place where the broken off one belonged.
Anyone else had to sort something like this? or other ideas I can try?
Cheers!
Mike
kettle738

Re: Mending a broken lug on steering stem (GT380)

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Mike, just go back to Terry Mead in Pluckley.

I was over there a week or so ago, he repaired a hideously rotten RE5 seat base for me, he worked wonders on it and I would think it's now stronger than it ever was.

He uses a tiny little gas torch for delicate brazing.........could there be there sufficient access to do it in situ without stripping the front down?

He builds bespoke frames, so I guess if you just rang and asked he would give you an educated opinion as to whether you need to dismantle anything.

Regards..............Mick...........kettle738
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Mick,
You know, I am dumb. I did think 'Terry again perhaps?' (cos he did a wonder job on modifying my GT750 mainstand for Gibsons) but then 'how will I get it there if its in bits?'
Of course I could call him to make sure he'd be in, ride to him and just ask. Worst that happens (probably) is he says he can do it but front end has to come off. My best guess is he probably could do it in situ, and if needed, I could remove headlamp bucket bolts and deflect the headlamp and ears for access. I'll go and have a peek since the headlight is already out while I finish rekeying the ignition switch!
Nice idea - may do just that.
Cheers!
Mike
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

I think if it is accessible and you warn him you are coming he might well do it while you wait.....he's done similar things for me, he's a very agreeable bloke.

Mick...........kettle738