X750h!

Post here if you are doing anything different
garry55

Re: X750h!

Post by garry55 »

Spent a few hours tonight machining and threading a couple of pulleys that arrived from China in this mornings post.

The generator conversion nears completion...........
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

I love the ingenuity and willingness to try something outrageous.

What about a more boring conventional approach to fitting a decent external magnet alternator on the other end of the crank like most modern bikes. Maybe a Ducati unit for example. Should generate at least 40 amps which should be enough for almost any needs and would be slimmer that the stock fat bulge. It would require a shaft adapter and possibly a double row bearing to reduce whip but those are easy problems by comparison.

And then you can fit an electronic trigger on the points side and reduce with by 4" or so on that side too.
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Good recommendations but I am going with this system (for now) - it shaves 2.5" off the left side of the motor.
HPI self-generating ignition to be fitted to the right side which shaves another 4" off the overall width.
Who needs an electric start anyway? ;)
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

Great stuff!!
Tony
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Awesome stuff mate.

I had to go with the ducati alternator option on the RHS due to my EFI power need and I really wanted to keep the starter motor although I did graft the klick start back in as well in the dry clutch assembly just to stay a bit retro.

My LHS side got a bit narrower because I only have a trigger wheel there now.

Gotta love fettling!! Keep up the good work.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

The alternator I am using is only 150w max output but it's sufficient for what I need as I don't have a starter motor or fuel pump to power.
All the lights will be LED's anyway so it should operate comfortably within it's specified parameters.
Good thing about it is that it can run in either direction which simplified the installation somewhat.
Let me know if you are going back to Dave's (MuttsNuts) place and I will have a ride over to see you and your bike.
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

Templates for the 6 barrel fins (top) and the first of the cylinder head fins.
I'll send these away tomorrow for water-jet cutting from 3mm aluminium sheet and having the outer edges "rounded off" to give a more factory finish to them.
When I get them back I will trial fit them, file to suit and then get them shot blasted to give a "cast" look to the aluminium sheet.
Then off for welding.

Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

First of the "false" rocker boxes that will adorn the cylinder head.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

Tonight I have whiled away a couple of hours grinding and filing the last vestiges of the thermostat housing away.
Not that it will be seen when the engine is completed. It just annoyed the hell out of me!
Before......................

After.....................

Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

This little beauty cropped up on ebay last week - just what I need for this project!

Anyone any idea as to the manufacturer ? Teazer? :D

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Garry.