Anna. Or Annanother GT550.......

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Anna. Or Annanother GT550.......

Post by Alan H »

How do your locals go with the 'Watter Cooiled' stickers?
Do you have to translate? ;)
Hippo looks well in the deep Sarf.
I'll have to pop down with a 550 - or the Guzzi...
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Starter cover fitted & exhaust remantled. Oil pump seems ok and pumps everywhere it should, fitted the top bearing cover on the steering head that I noticed on the bench :oops: , went round with spanners & allen keys and checked 'everything' (hopefully!)
Polished & fitted Ram Air cowl and put a new sticker on it - t'other side was ok!
Starts easier now and ticks over nice and smoke is less. (I always over oil everything after a rebuild.) Gearbox filled with 1500 ml of Duckhams 20w50. Must check the fuel tap that leaks and hopefully actually ride the bike on Monday!?!?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

IMG_20230902_173619.jpg
Anna nearly done.jpg
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D Your getting there alan , a few more bits of shiny Suzuki parts lol , oh and yes everybody asks about the WATTER COOLED EMBLEM , most laugh , I love it son :lol:
Reminds me of you , well the hippo does so not a problem lol :roll: just had to put a new fuel pump in the zzr air filter and bloody plugs all the fairing off nitemare guys :shock:
IMG_7037.jpeg
Now all back together only 7000 miles from new
IMG_7103.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_7107.jpeg
IMG_7042.jpeg
IMG_7045.jpeg
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Starts on the button (quick press!) now and seat and tank fitted. Changed the cheapo chinky GS1000 tap for the original, but stripped & fitted a refurb kit which seems to have sorted the original leak. Tried the bike down the street - only about 75yds, but gears ok, brakes ok, smoking well, but irregular power despite 4 litres of e5 in the tank. Runs better on reserve, so it appears the reserve is about 4 litres then!
Must get a number plate tomorrow so I can nip out for a few miles shakedown. Might put some oil in the forks first......
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Two stroke day at Squires this weekend should be a good test Alan ;)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Harrymail wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:52 am Two stroke day at Squires this weekend should be a good test Alan ;)
Fingers crossed mate.

Fitted the number plate when I found the safe place, and filled up with e5 for a steady pootle. Kept to 4k rpm and a nice 12 miles was done. Clutch cable went awol, and a couple of other jobs to tittivate, but otherwise enjoyable.
Whistle see how enjoyable it continues to be.
teebowbusablaster

Post by teebowbusablaster »

Alan H wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:14 am
Harrymail wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:52 am Two stroke day at Squires this weekend should be a good test Alan ;)
Fingers crossed mate.

Fitted the number plate when I found the safe place, and filled up with e5 for a steady pootle. Kept to 4k rpm and a nice 12 miles was done. Clutch cable went awol, and a couple of other jobs to tittivate, but otherwise enjoyable.
Whistle see how enjoyable it continues to be.
Let me know if you're going to make it might ride over and have a look.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, yesterday was a bit of a write off as I was 'out' Friday night and felt fairly second hand Saturday morning. Anyway fetched the mini monster from her other grandparents, and entertained her here. Well into 30s here all day and it was too hot to be lugging bikes about in the garage, so achieved sod all really.
Managed to sort clutch adjustment and most other jobs on Friday, just need to get a few more shakedown miles on.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Managed a good day's fettling yesterday - good job there's an awning in front of the garage though - one to keep some sun off the bikes, and t'other to keep rain off them. Some very heavy showers here yesterday!
Anyway, stripped another petrol tap - swapped for pies from Ade's Suzuki emporium - and a few other tittying up jobs that crop up during 'shakedown'.
Basically, the clutch cable maladjusted itself so although it adjusted back ok, the clutch was 'heavy' despite light oiling the cable. I wondered if something had moved or come loose on the actual clutch. Whipped the clutch cover off and took the pressure plate off to confirm the centre nut & tab washer were ok, then remantled it all. When I refitted the tacho cable, the engine side connector spun. Bugger.
Took the points plate off and checked that the 6mm bolt that locates it was ok and of course it wasn't. :( Fortunately I found a spare (or mebbee the original?!) and nipped it up. Fired up the bike and a timing side rattle had stopped too.
The forks had been a bit boingy so I took the bars off, removed the rubbers from the fork tops and the tops were circlip type but looked like they hadn't seen any attention for a long time, plus there wasn't much fork oil and gawd knows what it had been in it's original state. A bit of wd40 and light application of a percussive engineering tool unrusted the plugs downwards, but they come out upwards of course. Drilled a 4mm hole halfway through the plugs and used an easy out to loosen the plugs so they could be removed ok. I do prefer the early type forks with threaded tops, but hey ho. Whipped the caps into the lathe & redrilled the hole to 5mm and tapped them 6mm as it's a pita to refit them after the forks are oiled up.
Flushed the crappy oil out & checked springs ok.
Refitted the plugs with new O rings & put 150ml of 20w50 in each leg through the 6mm tapped hole via a syringe & fitted a stainless button head stud with fibre & flat washer in. It'll save somebody else doing it anyway!
Nice fork action now with damping!
Tank fitted & a couple of litres of e5 in, and fired up nice. Rain getting heavier so put everything to bed. When it stops raining, it'll be out for another run and there's a new clutch cable ready, which might get fitted anyway.