Anna. Or Annanother GT550.......

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Anna. Or Annanother GT550.......

Post by Alan H »

Well, long time no update, so sad to say after the previous post and it stopped raining, I took Anna out for a spin and 'it' was an absolute pig to start. Eventually rumbled into life & started away. Pulled well, ran well, handled well, braked well - actually all seemed well. The fork 'upgrade' worked too and handling was back to normal. Nipped up to the local Texaco & filled up with e5 so I could go on a decent run and - pig to start again. Bugger.
Decided to go local and off we went - as normal - kept revs down to 4000 in respect of the new crank & rebuild and the bike pulled well. Everything seemed fine except for the starting.
Now I'm usually in the habit of 'bike out, check fuel, battery & tyres, then kit & crash hat on, start up & sod off, so all had been ok except for the starting (with new plugs). Anyway after a few miles to a mate's, pulled up & had a cuppa & chat then tried a start. Eventually ran, so headed home. Very odd. Smoking on all 3 pots and pulled well, but this bloody bad starting.
Got home after a total of about 20 miles & got bike kit off then went to start up.
Oh bugger sounds like 'another' noisy engine, mainly behind points area.
Phone Uncle Baz & he suggested getting Anna on the trailer as is so he could hear it run.
Left the bike there (& the trailer) & after another bad starting session, he reckoned that it was cylinder related. Hmmm.
Anyway, came home & went on hols.
In the meantime Baz & John had the exhausts plus head, cylinders & pistons out & measured pistons & ring gaps - which were out of spec, considerably. Now during my strip & rebuild, I polished the pistons & cleaned the ring grooves which had been quite well carboned, but didn't think anything of it and as Anna usually started and ran well, left well alone & didn't check the ring gaps. Anyway Dr. Baz prescribed a rebore to +0•5mm and sent off for a set of Mitaka pistons from Japan & had the bores done to the pistons. Rebuilt & good starting restored, but then I ended up in the horsepingtile (see other thread).
So when I get out of here and the bad leg let's me drive down to Baz's, I can pick it up & get it home.
- See next exciting episode - soon........  :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Unfortunately, due to my poorlylegitis, it appears that Anna will be staying at Uncle Baz's for another week until I feel fit enough to pop down & fetch the bike back on the trailer! :roll:
In the meantime, anyone interested in buying the now totally rebuilt GT550B with new crank, rebore, blasted barrels & cases, plus gearbox refurb. Polished Ram Air cowl, powder coated frame & tinwear, two pack painted tank (& 2 pack laquered). & lots of other bits as shown on this thread, please get in touch with me by personal message- viewing will be at my house near Barnsley, South Yorkshire and payment by cash or bank transfer.
V5 in my name, bike was a Canadian import and now correctly registered in the UK.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:38 pm Unfortunately, due to my poorlylegitis, it appears that Anna will be staying at Uncle Baz's for another week until I feel fit enough to pop down & fetch the bike back on the trailer! :roll:
In the meantime, anyone interested in buying the now totally rebuilt GT550B with new crank, rebore, blasted barrels & cases, plus gearbox refurb. Polished Ram Air cowl, powder coated frame & tinwear, two pack painted tank (& 2 pack laquered). & lots of other bits as shown on this thread, please get in touch with me by personal message- viewing will be at my house near Barnsley, South Yorkshire and payment by cash or bank transfer.
V5 in my name, bike was a Canadian import and now correctly registered in the UK.

£50?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, that's the spare plugs sold. :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nipped sarfwards today & called in at Ade's with pies & pick up carb stuff for Bluesmokebaz who had Anna - now rebuilt & running. Starts on the button and now at home, so if it keeps sunny tomorrow, the local air might be well polluted by a good dose of 2t smoke. Whistle see.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

Hi Alan , glad it’s all sorted eventually, bloody nitemare mate , put some miles on it now it’s reliable, untill time to sell it mate , hope your feeling better , did you get the master cylinder back big boy ….. have a great weekend alan and mrs ….. franki :D
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Still ongoing, but it will be sorted very soon - or the fire brigade will be called!!! ;)