clutch very heavy to operate

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Kijmpe

Re: clutch very heavy to operate

Post by Kijmpe »

Basket case 2.jpg
Basket case 1.jpg
The wear is not that bad so I am going to sand them to create a smoother surface.
The steel outer ring is still in place but somebody advised me to remove it since they tend to break and can destroy the engine?
Any thoughts on that?
Mjbarlowes

Post by Mjbarlowes »

Maybe slightly off topic, I’m not sure if the accelerator cables on my 750A are routed correctly through the fork yokes.
Does anyone know where I can find the correct routing path?
Thanks
Mike
Kijmpe

Post by Kijmpe »

Went for a first ride last week and found the clutch getting harder and harder to operate the longer I was riding.
After about 30 miles or so it became impossible to operate it and I returned home without a working clutch.
I took it apart again to assure myself there really was nothing wrong.
And there wasn't.
In the end I mounted another clutch cable directly from the handle to the lever around the outside of the petrol tank.
Clutch works fine!
Bloody cable routing deffo is the cause.
Never in my 35 year - working-on -motorbikes career I have ever experienced such a problem.
I have routed the cable as smooth as possible under the righjt side of the petrol tank but it still needs a lot of force to operate the clutch.
Does an OEM cable really make such a difference??
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

And fit a hydraulically operated clutch like I did. viewtopic.php?t=5620&hilit=clutch&start=310
Three years on and still working fine - another similar installation will be going on Emma too! :P
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Kijmpe

Post by Kijmpe »

I think I will first get myself sa set of very worn out genuine clutch springs to see whether that will make a difference.
Will let you know...
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Mjbarlowes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:17 am Maybe slightly off topic, I’m not sure if the accelerator cables on my 750A are routed correctly through the fork yokes.
Does anyone know where I can find the correct routing path?
Thanks
Mike
Very off topic. Better to start a new thread
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
widget

Post by widget »

My missus is starting to struggle a bit with the clutch on her Kettle. Alans hyd clutch looks very smart. I have searched Ebay for those part numbers with no joy. Can you remember where you got the bits from?
teazer

Post by teazer »

Cable routing makes a huge difference. i used to let my clutch cable run outside the tank to get a large natural curve in the cable. It was ugly but light. Last time I had teh tank off, I tried different under tank routing and ended up with a nice light clutch, but that bike has a CBR300 perch with aftermarket levers and no standard bard and headlamp mounts, so you may have to see what works best for your particular setup.

Hydraulics systems used to be available on ebay and I think they were copies of a Magura design.
Kijmpe

Post by Kijmpe »

Because I was becoming rather desperate, I decided, against all advise here, to grease the cable with PTFE spray.
The guy at the carparts store however told me to use WD40 lithium grease spray since he used to have similar problems with the clutch of his Honda moped.
And it works!!!!
The cable now is routed under the right side of the petrol tank and the clutch is still smooth to operate.
I ran it for 150 miles and had no problems with it.
Me happy again!!!
Kijmpe

Post by Kijmpe »

Liquid gold to me!