Emma the 'M' model.

You can chat about anything you like here
750ynot

Re: Emma the 'M' model.

Post by 750ynot »

I am sure you have the right sized hammers to sort it out ;)
Tony
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, due to needing some room for the shift around tomorrow, (GS out of the garage and go where Emma has been resting, MG into the garage), I decided to strip the frame of all its bits.
Took a couple of days because it gets late early now and everything was rusted very tight, but I have a selection of hammers and a bfo breaker bar, so it all unmantled eventually. Anyway all bits are off the frame and in a box, and I think the powder coat lady will do some eye rolling when she sees the state of all the bits that need shot blasting. Might get them sorted for next week so they won't be in my way at all until after Chrimbo. Sounds like the original engine crankcases are about boloxt, good job I've got some spare (and some number punches!) Sent off for a new V5 as the previous long term owner hasn't seen the original one for 'a few years'. 
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just got the V5 from DVLA after a bit of chasing the last owner (since 1977!) and the engine it has is an A, which explains the Nikasil barrels. So as it appears that engine's crankcases are knackered, I'll have to check 'stock and see if either I've got an M engine, or just fit anything and perhaps see what can be done to annoy the purists a bit more......
Hmmmmmm. :twisted:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No updates yet, so please move along.
All tinware will be going for powder coating 'soon' when the time is 'right'. You'll see why 'soon' in another fred.
In the meantime, I need a pair of GS550 alloy wheels complete with discs and axles, GS550 swing arm to suit with master cylinder etc (not bothered about pipework as this will be all new).
Couple of GS750/850/1000 front calipers to fit GT550 forks. No mad rush, 3 weeks timescale will be fine.
Emma will be similar standard to Earwig - so not very - but still very different.
I think the drybollic clutch actuator will reappear too, just to even up the handlebar controls.
The saga continues.......
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, other than stripping the frame and all the big bits into easily chuckaboutable sections, not much progress due to Chrimbo, a two week Caribbean cruise, building another greenhouse, trying to get some miles on the Guzzi and general life when the weather is sh1te, I've managed to get a GS550 swing arm, rear sets, brake & gear linkages and other bits sorted, so I must get the frame & other tinware to the powder coaters 'soon'. Not sure about wheels etc. yet - might be GS550, GS500, SV650 or summat completely different. Hopefully any 'anorak' trying to work it out will throw a complete mental wobbler. Likewise forks.
Handlebar switches are snafu'd so I could fit anything with suitable modifications I suppose, likewise handlebars, levers (hydraulic clutch again so there will be matching levers?) Harness is knackered, but I have (wrong year) spares so they are 'wrong'. I think this one will be one SOB to sort, but I daresay, whistle see.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just got gs550 rear swing arm and some gs550 footrest brackets & pedals so the footrests can be a bit further back. (Maybe.)
Waiting for wheels & now need GS750 or even better GS1000 calipers (front) & a GS550 rear caliper. Plenty in the US but import duties are stupid expensive here. And postage isn't funny at all.
Wheels/discs on their way, so I might as well get the frame & tinware powder coated. But what colour? Maybe silver or summat completely different. Hmmmm.
Wheels silver or black? Maybe arseds about colour scheme to annoy the purists again?!?!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

GS750 and GS550 rear calipers are the same mate
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

There seems to be quite a few different ones - typical Suzuki, just change stuff for the sake of it.....
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, after scouring the computerverse, I managed to find some GS550 stuff for Emma. Swing arm, wheels with discs, gear linkage & brake pedal plus assorted bracketry - although I'm not sure exactly what will be used, or even will fit as yet. I got some caliper spares locally the other day & noticed that he had some GS750 forks in reasonable condition, unlike Emma's originals, so there might be some of them going on.
With a bit of luck, there might be a few 'anoraks' in the psycho ward soon!  :lol:
Still need some calipers though - the search continues!