And now for summat completely diff'rent....

You can chat about anything you like here
PaulD738

Re: And now for summat completely diff'rent....

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:38 am
Good job at your age. Shagging might be a problem......... :roll:
Erm, what’s that :shock:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D now now boys it’s Xmas lol :roll: roll on the warmer weather so I can ride the hippo :lol: and a happy new year … 8-)
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

FINALLY!!! I've managed to get out on Izzy (reg suffix WSY!), and I must admit to being impressed. Still lots to learn - cruise control isn't as user friendly as the car, for instance) but managed a run out.

Good bits.... called at the garage & put 10 litres of E5star in and sodded off in manual mode. Stopped after a bit and worked out how to go from off road to strada mode and carried on without noticing any difference....

Brakes good compared to my 70s 2 strokes unsurprisingly and after a seemingly overwhelming amount of 'pressing' managed to get the cruise control to cruise most of the time.  I'm missing summat, but not sure what.

Performance is good - went from 1 mile odo to 30 miles odo before the chasing black clouds caught up and kept to below 4k rpm as it was 1st time out. Handling good, front brake needs tweaking to my preference, back brake good, seat comfy, rider position good (5ft 8 or 1.75m in new money), need slightly taller boots!! as tippy toes on stopping - or ride with panniers with summat in 'em, bar grip heaters excellent, but wind protectors might be improved with extenders. Need to learn more about screen displays and how to change on the fly.

Bad bits.... Well,  it's a strange beast unsurprisingly, compared to what I'm used to, but really I just need more miles to get experience. The standard front guard is pi55 poor and after only about 5 miles of rain the engine is well splashed, so the Caponord mudguard + extender needs fitting smartish.

Note to myself.... ride it more and use thicker gloves (hands not too good!)

Surprising bits.... went in garage with 49 miles available, put 10 litres ish in and did 30 miles, but when I got home it says 214 miles left. Now my adding up is good but this doesn't 'compute' so I'll keep a record. Makes the 2 strokes look bad!

Overall? So far, money well spent, but I need to work on the controls. Mebbee a visit to the dealer 'might' help.....?!?!?!
Last edited by Alan H on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
didge

Post by didge »

I bought a Harley Road King years ago and excitedly thrashed it up the M5 to Wales. But disappointedly the cruise control didn’t work.
I returned to the dealers when I got back only to be told “it won’t work over 90mph.”….Duh, WTF.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Bits have been done and 've now got some miles on - the new front 'guard works - extra large splash of running water across Shepcote Lane (A631) in Sheffield today when I went to see Richards new Tranny (van, not 'vestite!). Must get a rear hugger (oo-er mother!!) to match the front 'un and keep underneath the bike cleaner. How come modern bike's mudguards don't do what they should?
Anyway, 100 miles today on mixed roads and very enjoyable it was too! Them heated grips are ace!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Best "extra" you can fit to a Moto Guzzi :D

ps - Alan should be able to recognise the swingarm donor bike ;)
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That rear shock doesn't look very aerodynamic, and where's the swing arm pivot? :roll:
Don't recognise what it's off though.....
Still a lot of work there, but nice, very nice.
garry55

Post by garry55 »

swing arm pivot is the bolt at the bottom of the frame "V" piece - draw an imaginary line from the sprocket centre to the rear wheel spindle and that line passes through the centre of the swing arm pivot bolt. As it should.

swing arm is off a GT550.

shocks are off my T150 Trident - I have a pair of Gazi (not Guzzi!) shocks to fit.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

New rear 'hugger' fitted today - looks like half a mudguard and I daresay it will be acceptable to modern bikers - which I'm not.
Absolute pita job.
Started with 'remove the back wheel' a 26mm socket must be the only size up to about 42mm that I didn't have, but my mate did so I exchanged a borrow of the socket for a ptpp. Lovely
Most bolts/studs are torx, but I bought a set on Sunday at Huddersfield Auto jumble, so that went fairly well, just that most of the original studs are a barsteward to get to. Anyway, it's fitted and the back wheel's back in.
I would like to meet the git who designed the way it goes in & out. Words would be spoken while I gently stroked his throat.
Anyway, that's summat else done, so must get some pics if it stops raining....
Last edited by Alan H on Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Due to several doses of snottyitis mixed in with all the crap weather we've had and a 2 week Caribbean cruise, I haven't been out on the V85 since I fitted a Caponord rally front 'guard and a 'proper' rear hugger to the bike. I also fitted a satnav mount - ebay item 304670759863 - which does the job well. 

Anyway, managed to get to Squires biker caff near Sherburn in Elmet for a coffee today, and as the sun was shining, I decided to 'nip' up to Scotch corner for a bacon sarnie. 160 mile round trip, so must be in the running for the most expensive pig sarnie I've ever had! Shows 55.1 mpg average so far and a nice comfy ride. I've sussed the cruise control out now (mostly) but keeping below 4500rpm/76mph is trying at times!

Engine seems to be bedding in well now it's got a few miles on (360!), but I need another 540 plus a service before we go to Normandy in May, and that's only 9 weeks away! Servicewise, I suppose some blobs of clear nail varnish may help to see what got checked or not...... :roll: