leak from clutch cover plate

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
graciesdadpaul

leak from clutch cover plate

Post by graciesdadpaul »

Hi all,

I've recently completed a rebuild on a Gt750J and whilst it runs its not very happy and will need a bit of adjusting to the timing and carbs I suspect, its has a bit of a misfire at low revs. The front drum brake is terrible even though it has new shoes and the radiator has a small leak, so the usual nonsense with a rebuild. Anyway the main issue it has at the moment is an oil leak from the clutch cover plate on the right side of the engine. ive taken this off to look and im not sure if there is even supposed to be oil in there to be honest.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether there should be oil in there, and if not where should I look for the source of the leak?

many thanks chaps.
canaletto5

Re: leak from clutch cover plate

Post by canaletto5 »

Oil will get in if the gasket isn't sealing the little gallery opening. Kev
barney01

Post by barney01 »

The drum brake must be perfectly adjusted. If the cable is not pulling evenly and the cam tension bars are adjusted so the shoes contact the drum correctly it will be poor. Remember this is a brake from 1970's but mine works well.
This may help
https://youtu.be/lc5XIT0TpT4
https://youtu.be/oOHbhaJwrc0
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
rodent

Post by rodent »

Which cover are you talking about, the clutch adjustment cover or the main cover?

If you're talking about the adjustment cover, it can leak if you are using an aftermarket gasket that is too thin. It won't seal the breather hole at the top and oil will leak out of the small groove at the bottom of the plate.

Or if you are talking about the man cover, it has one hole at the front that is not blind and you should apply some teflon tape(or your favorite sealer) to. Picture below :)

teazer

Post by teazer »

The outer (round) cover is supposed to have oil in the upper section. It is fed by a steel weir above the clutch. Did you fit a new oil seal in that outer cover?

The seal is there to feed oil into the clutch pull rod. Often that pull rod end is damaged by owners using mole grips to hold it still while they adjust the clutch. Check that the nose of the pull rod is OK and replace the oil seal and gasket to be sure.
graciesdadpaul

Post by graciesdadpaul »

barney01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:16 pm The drum brake must be perfectly adjusted. If the cable is not pulling evenly and the cam tension bars are adjusted so the shoes contact the drum correctly it will be poor. Remember this is a brake from 1970's but mine works well.
This may help
https://youtu.be/lc5XIT0TpT4
https://youtu.be/oOHbhaJwrc0
thank you, id looked on you tube and didnt think about the 550 having same set up, Ill give this a go!
Last edited by graciesdadpaul on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graciesdadpaul

Post by graciesdadpaul »

teazer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:40 pm The outer (round) cover is supposed to have oil in the upper section. It is fed by a steel weir above the clutch. Did you fit a new oil seal in that outer cover?

The seal is there to feed oil into the clutch pull rod. Often that pull rod end is damaged by owners using mole grips to hold it still while they adjust the clutch. Check that the nose of the pull rod is OK and replace the oil seal and gasket to be sure.
thanks, I did fit a new gasket to the outer cover and I realise that oil is supposed to get into the quadrant in the top corner. i'll have a look and see wats happening in there