Zener diode

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Keoki

Zener diode

Post by Keoki »

Howzit from Hawaii , it's been a while . I got an aftermarket regulator/rectifier . Charging way to much . I got a zener diode with the threads to ground it . As how to maybe hook it up is when the smoke starts coming out of my ears . Other than that , the weather is beautiful and I'm going to the beach .
Keoki

Re: Zener diode

Post by Keoki »

Also I had a Shorai lithium battery that melted . Could that battery have done something to the regulator/rectifier ?
teazer

Post by teazer »

A single Zener diode is not a good solution.

I suspect that the process of destruction was the other way around. Overcharging will often cause a battery to fail and lithium based batteries are somewhat less tolerant than older technologies.

We had an Electrosport RR new out of the box fail recently and we suspect that a bad ground caused that but could have been that way as it left the factory. That was replaced by a much cheaper unit from sparckmoto.com which keeps the voltage much flatter and under control.

What make was the one that died just for reference?
Keoki

Post by Keoki »

Yeah the diode I was over thinking it . The Shorai lithium battery melted . Any good aftermarket regulator/rectifier , that's not going to melt my lead acid battery ?
teazer

Post by teazer »

Correct. My favorite now at a great price comes from Sparckmoto.com on the west coast of the US.
EvansWard

Post by EvansWard »

teazer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:49 pm Correct. My favorite now at a great price comes from Sparckmoto.com on the west coast of the US.
Hey teazer,

Which one of their products (regulator/ rectifier) would you recommend for a GT750A? The 12v 3 phase unit? Their prices are very reasonable! Thanks!
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
teazer

Post by teazer »

http://sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/74

That's what i just fitted. Ask Matthew at Sparck to swap the plugs to fit your bike or he can tell you how to map the colors to match a GT.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Remember that all a zener does is to bleed wasteful excess power away to earth, getting very warm in the process. It's much better to sort out the charging system instead, where the problems are usually caused by poor wiring connections between battery and regulator.
The original system works well if maintained - all 3 of my 550s run well on a standard system, as did the kettle and an earlier 550 rebuild.
Of course, it you like chucking money at a problem then carry on, but the overcharging will still happen unless you sort out the initial issue with the wiring.
Lots has been posted on here about charging, just do a search using the 'quick links' at the top left of the page.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Keoki

Re: regulator/ rectifier

Post by Keoki »

I got the em 3 phase from spark motor. It's not over charging , but barely charging . Anyway moving on . Now the left cylinder is firing sporadic . I just put in a new points and condenser . Still miss firing . I have the old 3 pack of ND coils . It's easy to hear the miss fire with the Jemco pipes . Anyway the surf is down around the islands , light winds and 78 degrees . Having a PBR , and sitting with the water Buffalo . ( Pabst Blue Ribbon) . Aloha .