GT750 Poor Starting, Slow Cranking

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
63Scammell

GT750 Poor Starting, Slow Cranking

Post by 63Scammell »

I've had my GT for a good few years now and it has always cranked over slowly on the starter. The first start of the day always required use of the kickstart.
I decided that it was time that I looked into it, starting (!) with the battery as it was ready for a new one. Having had (bad) experience of Motobatt, (don't ask! Each to their own etc) I've always stuck with YUASA, but not this time! I did some cross referenceing and found that the correct YUASA was rated at 14Ah and 175 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps, or tourque if you like) and cost about £60. A Powerline of the same physical dimensions and rated at 14Ah has 200CCA and as a benifit is AGM (sealed), so no acid spills, even better it's only £32. So more CCA and the motor cranks over a little faster and for longer.

Phase 2 was to replace the starter cables, from the battery to the solenoid and the solenoid to the starter, with thicker cables, soldered joints and copper termnals. I did the same with the earth lead to the frame. In a fit of enthusiasm I even replaced the earth lead from the frame to the crankcase that I fitted years ago.

So, after spending an afternoon in the workshop, slaving over a hot blowlamp, was it worth the effort? YES!! The starter spins much faster and for longer, so much so that I won't bother fitting the new starter brushes that I bought previously!

To be honest, although the extra battery power is welcome I think that the most improvement came from the bigger battery cables and the soldered joints, which must be better than a 50 year old crimped joint with all the corrosion that it has accumulated over the years.