Regulator earthing point

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
kettle738

Regulator earthing point

Post by kettle738 »

Help!.......having got my L model to run at last.... it won't charge the battery. Thus far I have renewed the alternator carbon brushes, one of which was a mess, and checked the green lead for isolation from the mounting screw..... the top hat washer is in situ.

I then had a look at the regulator and found this.......
20230617_152842.jpg
The right hand mounting point that carries the earth strap for the electrics panel has been overtightened at some point and the body of the regulator which I am assuming should be isolated is earthed..... there is continuity between the mounting ferrule and the body of the regulator, whereas the left-hand mount is isolated.

The black wire with a white tracer is therefore earthed. I will be the first to admit electrics are a bit of a mystery to me, and I have been lucky with my last dozen or so kettles as none of them have given any significant electrical grief so I am struggling.

What would be the effect of earthing the black/white wire? I am guessing this is wrong?.... if so, I can drill out the crushed brass ferrule and turn up an isolating washer from Delrin which would be more rigid than the rubber set up but would definitely isolate it electrically.

Any knowledgeable advice would be gratefully received...... Mick.
canaletto5

Re: Regulator earthing point

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

Black and white wires are the earth(ground) wires on these bikes. The rubber mounts aren't electrical isolators, they are shock absorbers to try and protect the regulator from vibration. I think your problem is elsewhere. Kev
kettle738

Re: Regulator earthing point

Post by kettle738 »

Thank you for that, every day a school day....... I'll keep looking.

Mick.