Cold centre cylinder

Trev1958

Cold centre cylinder

Post by Trev1958 »

Help! 1976 kettle. The bike started really missing and banging. Changed the plugs and all good for 100 miles. Just been out for a short ride and it went onto 2 cyls. The centre one is cold. The plug was rather oily. Put another plug in, still the same. The bike has done 5k miles since full rebuild (C. Appleby).
Any ideas???
Alan H

Re: Cold centre cylinder

Post by Alan H »

Check timing is ok first, then check plugs - what plug numbers are you using? (eg GENUINE B7ES?) The cheapo chinky knockoffs are crap btw. :roll:
All else fails, perhaps your carbs need sorting - contact Baz on here - and he will clean and set them up properly. Baz lives in Dudley, but where are you?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Trev1958

Post by Trev1958 »

Hi Alan, the plugs I bought were B8ES. The carbs were completely rebuilt and very nice with no surging at all. To my shame, the one thing I have never changed are the points. Will check them and get some more plugs which the manual says are B-8ES.
Trev1958

Post by Trev1958 »

Just checked the pints. A bit iffy but cleaned them. Just checked for a spark and no spark in the middle or offside cyclinders!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I wouldn't recommend cleaning points as they have a very hard coating on the working faces that is scrubbed off when 'cleaned'.
Fit new and make sure the insulating washers are correct like this - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BnTzhC9Q8ss/T ... +point.png
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Trev1958

Post by Trev1958 »

Where can I get a set of points from as Robinson’s and Crooks don’t seem to have them. There are some on fleebay but they are in the USA ?
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh,
Ur right with B8ES, or u cud try iridium plugs (doe oil up so easy)
Or the coil ?
Condensor ?
Not that r know eff all ! :o