GT550/750 Brakes

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
TGladders

GT550/750 Brakes

Post by TGladders »

Evening everyone!

I (along with a lot of help and knowledge from my dad) got my GT550L on the road this summer and I am 900 miles into the running in period. Loving it, it sounds awesome and its nice to ride.

However.... I've been caught out in the rain a few times now, and the brakes are horrendous. For context, I've got a GT750 front end in with twin discs and the correct 'D' master cylinder, rebuilt calipers and new, correctly bedded in pads. So from an engineering perspective, the braking system is as Suzuki intended it to be.

Has anyone 'upgraded' their front brakes with better calipers, discs & pads and seen an improvement in wet braking? Maybe I need to 3D print some clip on disc shields that I can shove on in the wet like those motoGP boys......

Cheers,
Tom
1974 GT550L
1976 PC50
2017 Ducati SSS
Alan H

Re: GT550/750 Brakes

Post by Alan H »

Sintered pads always improve the brakes.
Remember the original discs were stainless (so they didn't rust) and didn't work well if wet and cold.
Drilled discs improve the situation, but a lot of engineering shops won't attempt it as they are very hard.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
TGladders

Post by TGladders »

Sintered pads already in, I think I saw a post where you had fitted drilled discs? Did you create the pattern yourself or take it from another disc?

Did they actually make much difference in the wet?
1974 GT550L
1976 PC50
2017 Ducati SSS
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

TGladders wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 pm Sintered pads already in, I think I saw a post where you had fitted drilled discs? Did you create the pattern yourself or take it from another disc?

Did they actually make much difference in the wet?
Wuh,
If I remember right, sintered pads also wear the disc down considerably faster !
Something to think about.
TBH, don't think you need sintered pads.
Just a good "grip" when applying the brake........no sponging !!
Unless your racing, I don't think you need drilled discs. Just "read" the road further ahead and avoid slam dunkers !!!