Chain & Sprockets question

You can chat about anything you like here
UK750GT

Chain & Sprockets question

Post by UK750GT »

Looking on Ebay all the adverts say for J-M 1975-1977? I have an A model, anyone know if the chain and sprockets are all the same fitment?
Roger Ackery

Re: Chain & Sprockets question

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,according to my Haynes Manual(so don't quote me,ha,ha) GT750's J,K,L run a 15 tooth front sprocket & 47 tooth rear, the M used 16 front,43 rear,some "A" models also have this gearing. From engine number 74191 onwards gearing changed to 15 front,40 rear,(my "A" has this gearing) I don't think the "chain size" altered,length obviously did!!....

Also during production of the "A" model internal ratios were changed on 2nd & 3rd gear,
This occurred from engine numbers 73069 onwards (also applies to my "A" with a build date of November 1975,frame num 68111)

Hope this is of use?

Cheers,
Roger.
GT750A.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
UK750GT

Post by UK750GT »

Thanks Roger, the sellers that give the sprocket sizes all seem to say 16 front,43 rear. The other sellers do not say, so I will have to ring around. My frame is 64919

Cheers
Rick
heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe »

Robinsons foundry carry a full range of sprockets, there is a deal on JT sprockets currently from them at £20.42 each,!! the only exception being 43 tooth which is £29.00 this is proberbly the size you want,!! sizes go from 38 tooth to 52 tooth on these give them a call they will know the correct sprocket size for your A' bike i still think Paul Miller will work out the cheapest for these ive PM 'd you his contact e-mail
regards
H.
H
heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe »

Just been consulting my GT 750 Factory parts books on the subject of Sprockets, Suzuki themselves state the following standard and optional front and rear drive sprockets for models J' to B' in the offical dealer parts books of the period..

J' 1972 model 750 Rear sprocket size is 45 teeth standard, with the following being optional sizes 43,44,46,47,
J' model front drive sprocket is 15 teeth standard 16 teeth is an optional size for the J, model

K' 1973 machines the same sizes apply as per the above J' model sprockets.

L' 1974 machines have a standard 47 teeth rear sprocket, with the following listed as optional 43,45,49,51.
front drive sprocket is 15 teeth with 16 teeth listed as optional.

M' 1975 model machines have a standard 43 teeth rear sprocket with the following listed as optional, 40,45,49,51.
front drive sprocket is 16 teeth with 17 teeth listed as optional

A' model 1976 machines the same sizes apply as per the above M' model sprockets.

B' model 1977 machines have a 40 teeth rear sprocket standard with the following listed as optional 43, 46,49,51.
front drive sprocket is 14 teeth with 15 teeth listed as optional.

Dident they just LOVE to change things around!!,as per modern day machines optional teeth drive sprockets will improve performance/acceleration in the following areas low range, mid range, high range, BUT you need to consult professionals in this area in my opinion,before changing them around ,if you are changing the rear then usually you would also change the front likewise. ie ask an experienced motorcycle technician, or 2 stroke,!.. motorcycle racer,!! there are no rights and wrongs with sprockets dependant on how you'd like to change power delivery,however both front and rear sprockets need to be in "Balance" that is important,!
regards
H.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

It would be best to start with standard then when you have used it for a few months you may find higher or lower gearing may suit you, depending on your riding style. Slow old git like me or Barry sheen.