Slight oil leak!

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
martyducati

Slight oil leak!

Post by martyducati »

Folks as my 550a has sat on the workbench for the last couple off months I have noticed a small amount of oil has dropped onto the cardboard I keep below the driveshaft area,it's not a lot but it's going to be stopped, seeing as the bike was stationary when this happened am I right in thinking it wouldn't be the driveshaft seal as it sits higher than the oil level at rest?
So the only other choices are 1 the gear selector seal? 2 the clutch pushrod seal? 3 the gear indicator unit o ring?
Is there a separate neutral switch or is it combined with the gear unit?
Can anybody advise ? Can all these seals be replaced without engine dismantling ?
It's not chain lube as I use a dry lube,
I haven't been really looking in this area before bar fitting a new g/box sprocket ,
Cheers Marty!
Alan H

Re: Slight oil leak!

Post by Alan H »

Easiest to take the cover off and wipe everything down then wait and watch.
THEN a decision can be made when you know what's actually leaking and how much.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Marty,
Alan's approach will work, I did the same on a dribbly 750A, to find it was the gear switch O-ring. The others are possible but I reckon the O-ring is the most likely culprit. As the alloy ages and especially if someone over tightened the two screws, the alloy 'lifts' slightly and makes it tough for the O-ring to really be squashed when replaced. IF you find its the switch O-ring and IF you can feel slight 'lumps' around the threaded holes, you might want to gently counter sink the holes 1mm each side ie +2mm to the hole diameter, just to relieve and humps and allow the switch to sit down tight.
Worked for me last 4 years! no leaks!
Mike
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Cheers lads for the replies, I'll take it for a run tomorrow weather permitting to thin the oil then sit staring waiting for the telltale signs,it's really not a lot of oil I'm losing but want it sorted before my next oil change!
Cheers Marty!
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Well went for a run this morning to heat the oil and it started to snow
So on my removal of the casings I found the screw holding the gear selection electronics unit lying loose in the housing trapped by the wiring loom and the other screw had two turns until it started to tighten not a lot of oil had been leaking so I think problem solved!
Now my next question, does this look normal?should there not be some sort of cover on the wiring(that's what I found when I took the casing off cheers Marty!
Attachments
image.jpg
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Nope, no cover, Marty! thats how it should be. Odd, huh!?
Cheers,
Mike
ps: bet it was cold out?
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Thanks mike, and yes it was Baltic!!! And as I'm mostly a fair weather rider my visor isn't treated(I still use fairy liquid)so it was foggy as well!!!