DISC AND ALLOY CONVERSION

Post here if you are doing anything different
Kettle-kid

DISC AND ALLOY CONVERSION

Post by Kettle-kid »

Hi all just about to start an alloy wheel and disc conversion and was wondering if any one has already done all the hard work.
I have amassed a load of GS750E parts and have the bike stripped out ready for the mock up. The big question I am asking
myself is were to mount the master cylinder for the rear brake. Any advice well be greatfully recieved.
All the best for now K.K.
Oldbeancanopener

Re: DISC AND ALLOY CONVERSION

Post by Oldbeancanopener »

I did 90% of this but didn't see it through as A pair of beautiful spoked wheels came my way.

you'll need to play around with spacers in order to get the rear caliper sitting centrally over the disc. I had to turn a GS750 spacer down in the lathe to get the positioning right. You need a 275mm rear disc. A standard kettle disc is too big.

The caliper must sit on top. If you try to undersling it the torque arm fastening is on the wrong side.

You'll need to weld the torque arm anchor point onto the top of your swingarm.

Some people use a kettle torque arm. I think this is dodgy. A standard kettle torque arm is designed to operate under tension when braking. If you move it above the swingarm you place it under compressive force when braking. It's not designed for this so you are better using a GS750 torque arm which is designed to withstand compressive force.

hope this helps

Bill
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Thanks Bill I will post some photos as I go they are going on a B model together with my signature bling paint work and a brand new set of allspeeds,
bod750

Post by bod750 »

Hi, I am going through a conversion at the moment, I have GS750, rear wheel, caliper and caliper bracket with GS550 disc (275mm)
I used a brand new GS750 rear wheel spacer, the one with the pressed cover and it all seems to line up ok.
On the front I have a GS550 Katana wheel, the GT Discs fit spot on with the GT spacers.

Just got to get the torque arm sorted, I would agree with previous comments that you need a GS750 style torque arm.

Bod750
Attachments
23032014084.jpg
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Thanks for all the info guys getting there now
Attachments
DSC02249.JPG
DSC02248.JPG