GT 125 Resto

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
PaulD738

Re: GT 125 Resto

Post by PaulD738 »

[/quote]

:Lots of love x: I'll be sure to give them a good greasing up one fitted . :Lots of love x:[/quote]

Ah yes the old engineering ritual :?
I remember being tie wrapped to a milling machine and having mine excessively greased by the nightshirt foreman who was an 18stone FEMALE monster on my last shift before getting married! I was then left bollock naked for the day shift to find me at 6 the next morning :oops:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stephenniall wrote: Yep, all my balls will be replaced, I'll be sure to give them a good greasing up one fitted . :Lots of love x:
One fitted?
Bloody hell Stephen, you are Adolf's child!! (clicky linky)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stephenniall

Post by stephenniall »

Not much has happened with the little GT in the past week or two unfortunately... Mainly because my insurance bill for my other bike comes out next week and will leave me skint all month !

On the plus side though, I have managed to rent a good sized workshop unit to work on the bike. So will be able to do things much better, without losing parts and should make my life generally easier.

It needs organising and some workbenches putting up, which I'll do this week. But it looks like this at the moment.

The little bit of work that has been done, is to the fuel tank. I tested it for leaks and discovered another little pin hole which will have to be welded, so I'm waiting to get that done. I've had the little dent on the tank filled as well.

stephenniall

Post by stephenniall »

I managed to find some time today to nip to my unit and get some little bits done.

Hopefully once my rear mudguard that I've ordered from Germany arrives, I can send the bits of to be plated, then start the rebuild process properly !

I've been building a small sandblasting cabinet recently, and managed to test it well today.

That is the import style headlight I purchased from a bike in France, I blasted it using glass beads, and then sanded a few spots.

I managed to blast one of my handlebar switches, I am hoping to get them painted this week.

I then started to flat the spray filler I used on my other headlight, this is the headlight that had a hole cut into it, and I had repaired.

It originally looked like this after a quick sanding, I welded a piece of plate in the hole, give it a decent skim of body filler.

I wasn't quite happy with the filler work, being a round headlight bowl I was struggling with filling it. We had a car in at work that was having a bit of 'U-Pol Reface' spray filler on it, so I decided to spray fill it. The headlight looked like this after a good flatting with some 240 grit sandpaper.

I then threw a good few coats of primer on the switches, and the headlights. If I get some time on Monday after work I will nip up and flat the primer, It didn't spray very well out of the gun, I was only using a cheap eBay spray gun I had bought for plasti-dip work.

Stephen.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You've a darn sight more patience than I have.
That looks a top job to me, but I'm an Engineer not a sprayist.
stephenniall

Post by stephenniall »

I managed to get a little done this weekend, hopefully will get some more done on Monday .

I masked my brake disk up to blast it & get it in primer.

This is it before:

After being blasted:

After being primed:

I got my other handlebar switch blasted & Primed, I'm hoping to get them painted black tomorrow.

I needed to strip the paint on my oil pump cover, with it being a funny shape sanding it would've been difficult, and I didn't want to use paint stripper with it being plastic.

This is it before:

I tried blasting it in my sandblaster with a slightly lower pressure.

It came out looking like this:

I gave it a quick pass with a red scotchbrite pad, and will get it in primer tomorrow, with the side panels hopefully.

Stephen.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

It's not plastic, it's Japcrap monkey metal.
Cleans up nice though.

You do realise that by doing such a good job, you'll be asked to do the same by others.
stephenniall

Post by stephenniall »

Alan H wrote:It's not plastic, it's Japcrap monkey metal.
Cleans up nice though.

You do realise that by doing such a good job, you'll be asked to do the same by others.
Thanks for the kind words Alan ! I did think it felt like metal, but thought it must've been plastic !

I started to prep my side panels when I had some time this week. I bought two used panels off eBay, one was advertised as having 'Good paintwork, just a few chips', unfortunately the few 'chips' as described happened to be peeling lacquer from a poor paint job, the only real way to deal with peeling lacquer is to strip it as far back as it will go, I used my blow gun and used compressed air to blow as much of the paint off, once that stopped working I started to use my sander to sand the old paint off. I decided to go back to bare plastic with this side panel, due to the peeling lacquer.

After a few hours prep work.

The other side was a bit easier to prep, with the paintwork being original and in fairly good condition, I only had to key it back, and only went to bare plastic where I had to, due to chips and deep scratches in the paint.

I then primered them along with a few other bits.

I put a bit of guide coat on them, they're now sat waiting to be flatted.

I'm hoping to get some bits done tomorrow, I'll be prepping the chromework this week to be plated, and hopefully can drop it off either this Friday, or next to be plated.
stephenniall

Post by stephenniall »

Once again I find myself lurking the internet far too early in the morning... I might as well post an update ! :D

I had a little free time today, so painted a few of the bits I got in primer last week.

Brake disc

Oil Pump Cover

If I get time later on today, I'll pop up and flat/polish them, although they've come out the gun with a good shine on them.

I think its about time I start with some engine bits, so I started to strip the carbs.

They're in a real bad state.

I stripped one, and cleaned the carb body up. I'm going to get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner this week so I can run them through to make sure everything is clean before I put them back together.

I'm going to need to replace the round inserts where the carb slides onto the engine, as I broke them getting them out (They were really brittle, and I'm heavy handed :lol: )

I'm going to pick up a new compressor tomorrow, so hopefully should get the blasting done and can drop the chrome work off to be plated next friday. I'll crack on doing more bits to the frame next week, I'm hoping to build the wheels up, and get the forks cleaned & polished.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Careful with the ultrasonic cleaner. If you leave parts in it for too long, it pits the alloy/monkey metal and knacks it up. I know this from doing parts too long, so max at 10 minutes and then look at it carefully. I used citric acid crystals - a teaspoonful in a litre of water, then use a toothbrush after ultrasonic-ing the parts andvwash really well in clean water after. Thinners or carb cleaner through all the air/petrol ways cleans all the stuff too small to see.