GS 1000 FRONT CALIPERS

Post here if you are doing anything different
JOHNJENKS66

GS 1000 FRONT CALIPERS

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Hi,a few pictures of a period upgrade/modification that I have fitted to my B model.I had the chance to ride a bike fitted with these a few years ago at the Bluehaze in Ashbourne,Derbyshire.Must admit that I was impressed with the extra stopping power,under the same riding conditions compared to the standard setup.The bike with the GS calipers would haul up some 10-14 feet quicker than standard brakes.We swapped bikes and riders,to get a fair feel to the brakes on both bikes,and the GS calipers won out every time.........10-14 feet could be the difference in hitting/not hitting that blind car driver that pulls out in front of you..........
Personally I don't think that they look out of place on the bike,and as I usually end up putting up a fair mileage,in all weather conditions,each year,will be more than happy if they are an improvement over the standard brakes.

Cheers,John.
Attachments
DSC_0337.JPG
DSC_0339.JPG
DSC_0336.JPG
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Alan H

Re: GS 1000 FRONT CALIPERS

Post by Alan H »

Great minds obviously think alike, John. I've got a pair of GS1000 calipers for the 550A.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan,I'd say it''s more a case of "Fools Seldom Differ".................
Then again,our bikes will probably stop that bit quicker 8-) 8-) than the standard setup...............
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Mmm, I've got a pair that have been stove enameled silver that look very nice, I wonder will they fit my 750J? :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Not without the disc lower forks.
Different mounts on the 4LS.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Not without the disc lower forks.
Different mounts on the 4LS.
Ah that's good, I was thinking I would need the discs as well :tw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote: Ah that's good, I was thinking I would need the discs as well :tw
No, not at all yer wazzock.
As you're already used to sh1t brakes on the lardy GT750J, you won't realise that there isn't a brake on the front at all.
Other than that, you could just buy the spare set of RE5 forks that I have, fit a twin disc front wheel (that I have) + calipers and all the other bits to make it work, then you'd almost think you was riding a 550. Of course, unlike riding a 550, you still wouldn't get round the first corner, brake or not.
I'll take the manky old 4LS off you as a P/X, so you won't be stuck with it in the shed of course. :roll:
It'll keep the one that I already have on the 550J (next resto) company, and will look good on the 550K that I already have running.
See how nice and helpful I am? :lol:
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Do you know what hopalong, I almost considered your offer for a nanosecond :o then I remembered you wuz from the wrong side of the Pennines and therefore are daft :lol: How's yer leg feeling now anyway? I'm due under the butchers knife meself on Monday, they're doing summat to my right eye so as I can see those pesky 550's in my rear view mirrors :lol:
I was thinking of selling those calipers as I'm never gonna use em, what do you reckon they're worth? I've never used them myself they come with a GS front end I bought many moons ago and have sat bagged up ever since.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

If you end up with a pirate patch, you can be ' the one eye love'.

Dunno about a price though cocker. Must be worth a couple of bob at least.
I might go up to that anyway, am a bit flush this week.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Alan H wrote:Dunno cocker. Must be worth a couple of bob at least.
I might go up to that anyway, am a bit flush this week.
Alan...if that's the case I could do with "a hand out" :roll: currently looking at a '81 650 Suzuki Katana..so if you could spare £1,500 quid,I'd appreciate it :P :P
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.