GT550 Cruisinimage pistons for nikasil - review

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
yeadon_m

GT550 Cruisinimage pistons for nikasil - review

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Steve r off the forum kindly bought on my behalf a set of GT550 pistons for nikasil cylinders from Cruisinimage. For some reason, my order was not accepted. I had asked him a few months back where the ring-retaining pins were, so may be his site put me down as a trouble-maker :-)
Anyway, cost was £55 delivered and came in 4 days. Steve and I had a close look at them yesterday.
Set of three Pistons, rings, pins and circlips. Appearance excellent. Arrows on crowns. Ring retaining pins correctly located for nikasil cylinders. Weights very close at 173 +/_ 1g, identical to expensive Suzuki NOS. Sizes very close at 60.99, 60.995, 60.995mm. Ring side clearance in grooves are >3 but <4 thou, same as Suzuki Pistons. Because all aspects look the same and the weights also match Suzuki, the density of the alloy must be the same. Piston sides have a fine milled finish, which Suzuki Pistons do not. Pins are very close to weight of Suzuki thick wall at around 41-42g (accession from earlier, thin wall types weighing 30g). Only possible concern is that pin fit to piston is full sliding fit, falling through piston under gravity alone, dry. This doesn't happen with Suzuki Pistons, where usually, gentle warming is needed to get the pins home. Does this matter? Lower edges of Pistons are a bit sharper than Suzuki, but dressing with 600 paper cleans it up easily.
Based on others' experience in their bikes I wouldn't have any reservations about using these.
Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
IMG_3337 (Large).JPG
IMG_3339 (Large).JPG
IMG_3340 (Large).JPG
IMG_3342 (Large).JPG
IMG_3338 (Large).JPG
Alan H

Re: GT550 Cruisinimage pistons for nikasil - review

Post by Alan H »

Fit some old ones and polish those for the mantlepiece, Mike!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

You wouldn't use them then, Alan? (or was it a joke?)
Mike
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I have fitted 3 setts now mike with no problems Bores were done by http://www.langcourt.com/ fast service also.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Cheers Baz, so no rattles from possibly too-loose a sliding fit on those piston pins?
Good work. If you add up the price from Suzuki for all the parts crusinimage sends for £55 delivered, you're looking at closer to a grand from the dealer.
A huge plus for nikasil 550 owners now.
Cheers,
Mike
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

No rattles reported.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

yeadon_m wrote:Cheers Baz, so no rattles from possibly too-loose a sliding fit on those piston pins?
Good work. If you add up the price from Suzuki for all the parts crusinimage sends for £55 delivered, you're looking at closer to a grand from the dealer.
A huge plus for nikasil 550 owners now.
Cheers,
Mike
The more this stuff comes on line the better. Suzuki have been raping owners for too long with ridiculous pricing. Roll on Cruzinimage exhausts !Kev
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

BAZ wrote:No rattles reported.
Except those rattles coming from Alan's pockets :P
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

.[/quote]
Except those rattles coming from Alan's pockets :P
Cheers,
Roger[/quote]

Roger,for Alan's pockets to rattle,he would have to have TWO coins in them !!!!!

I doubt that would happen very often !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

I have these in my current finished 550 and also fitted to the other engine that Baz has just built. First engine sounds absolutely normal, but I need to be careful here...don't want to tempt fate by saying it sounds perfect. Not tried the second engine yet but no reason to think it will be any different. A darn sight cheaper than genuine bits too 8-)
1976 GT550A in black