Pattern gaskets - any experience?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Pattern gaskets - any experience?

Post by yeadon_m »

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/GT_750_A_B/76-77/

Folks,
Wemoto are generally well-regarded but I have no experience of their gaskets. The price of head gaskets from Suzuki is eye watering and wemoto sell pattern gaskets are close to half that. I am always a bit worried by something not warrantied (pattern parts should work or they are a poor pattern) but at this much of a saving, I am considering it.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share from doing that on head gaskets?

Cheers,
Mike
BAZ

Re: Pattern gaskets - any experience?

Post by BAZ »

All the after market gaskets I have use were ok but the head gaskets are 1.8mm thick the genuine one is .8mm so you use a bit of compression. I use seagar engineering on ebay. Cheers BAZ http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/seager-engineering/
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Good tip Baz - thanks. Just browsed Seager and they do pattern piston kits at various oversizes too.
I doubt I am going to care too much about a small reduction in compression. Its not like I am an racer. And if you are happy to use these gaskets, so I am :-)
Cheers,
Mike
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

One advantage of the thicker gadget is you don't get water leaks.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

The past three gasket sets I've bought have been from these folks - I'm quite happy with them. They include the lower water pipe spigot gasket, as well as the oil pump o-rings which is nice. I also bought two sets of the front fork tubes they offer for the J/K and a few other things. No complaints.
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Good to know - thanks Baz and Ian.

One more question - the anti-leak washers under the large cylinder head bolts - I guess it is best to change these? they have some kind of rubberised inner lip and several of mine show evidence of ooze on my B. Now I have it apart.... GTReiner sells an aftermarket set for EU 14 so seems a good idea which I'm inclined to at this point given I am in for several hundred anyway. Might as well do it properly.

Those on my A are completely water tight, no leaks after nearly 1000 miles, so once again, the previous owner did a great job. Unlike the B, the A while ugly when I bought it had been faultlessly rebuilt on the engineering side. Just shows the variation in competence out there. Including mine for buying the wretched B !!

Cheers,
Mike
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Mike, correct me if I'm wrong but I always understood the purpose of the rubber seal dowty washers was to keep water out rather than in as there shouldn't be any coolant around the studs,,,,,,,the J models never had them, just large chrome washers with a lock washer and the dowty washer was an improvement to rectify a problem of water ingress.

I recently put a set on my J from Robinsons and they weren't cheap, I didn't know Reiner did a pattern set, but they are probably worth a try.

Mick...............kettle738
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Ah, you are right Mick, thanks. My B's corrosion from one or two head bolts might have been from wet riding (I have been known, just not often). I will save my pennies them.
Mike