Vietnam Chrome Fenders Quality?

susej1981

Vietnam Chrome Fenders Quality?

Post by susej1981 »

Hi all,

I've been seeing some GT750 Chrome reproduction fenders show up on ebay. What's the quality like on them? Debating on whether it's worth buying or if I'm better off replating the original fenders.

Thanks!

susej1981
slosher

Re: Vietnam Chrome Fenders Quality?

Post by slosher »

Pretty good a mate bought one and fitted it to an "A" model looks original when on ;)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
asco58

Post by asco58 »

I was contemplating buying one of these some time ago. From a UK perspective, it was going to cost about £250 to £300 to buy one of these mudguards/fenders and that includes shipping but not any import duties/taxes once it arrives. So I'd think about £290 to £360 delivered to my door.

I decided to ask S&T Electroplate down in Bristol and they re-chromed my mudguard and removed a couple of tiny dents for £270 including VAT\taxes. I'm very happy with the finish. They also gave a 2 year warranty on the chrome plating. So for me it wasn't worth buying a Vietnamese mudguard as re-chroming was actually marginally cheaper. I'm not sure where your located but If you can find a reputable electroplater then It could be worth asking for a quote on re-plating to see whether its worth it or not.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I think that is the most frustrating part of getting stuff rechromed in this country. The suppliers know what it costs to buy new (Or know that some parts are NLA) so price their work accordingly. I'm all for free enterprise but can't help feeling these guys are profiteering
asco58

Post by asco58 »

I think they're definitely profiteering but if it costs about the same to re-chrome the original as it does to buy a pattern replacement, then at least the original one won't be sitting around in the shed forever taking up space.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I used Shaun at Agbrigg for all the chroming on my T500 and he did a fantastic job for a decent price.
I asked about the cost of chrome on my silencers and was quoted iirc £750. Considering the fact that some chrome platers won't touch exhausts it isn't that bad. However although the silencers where in good condition externally I was worried that in 12months time the chemicals used would start rotting them from inside and that the baffles would come loose I bought a new repro set from Marcel i Holland for £825 including p&p.
You pays yer money and makes her choice 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I paid £85 at Agbrigg for a front mudguard re-chrome. That was about 3 years ago. It was ready in 48 hours !

Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
asco58

Post by asco58 »

Thanks, I didn't know about Agbrigg. I might give them a try if I need something re-chromed in the future.