GT750 Starter motor

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
bigrocketrider

GT750 Starter motor

Post by bigrocketrider »

About 4 years ago I had hydraulic lock on my GT750 - one piston crown came right off the piston. Had to rebuild the top end (new pistons etc) and it runs better than ever and has done so for nearly 1000 miles. However, the starter motor will not work - I have to kick it. It clicks, which normally indicates the solenoid, but this has been replaced (twice now) and it still wont work - just clicks. I have even shorted out the solenoid and still nothing. Could something have been effected with the explosion in the engine on the starter side??
Roger Ackery

Re: GT750 Starter motor

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Hi, my starter played up like yours 4years ago,
Pulled the starter out, cleaned it up, new set of brushes fitted & all good ever since :idea: ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I think there is a fair chance the motor will have been damaged internally after trying to turn over the engine which was locked. I would deffo have the motor out and check that the brushes didn't burn out. This is the two types of starter fitted. Not a lot of parts to check. Hope this helps. :D
Attachments
P1010041.JPG
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
bigrocketrider

Post by bigrocketrider »

cheers guys. Have a spare motor so I guess ill have to bite the bullet and rip it apart. Nothing else to do anyway during these testing times.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Baz refurbs them.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Helpful picture, Barney. Mine is the N-D starter on the 550B. Don’t know if it’s the same as that one, though it’d make sense to be v similar?
Mike
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Yes Mike that one came off a 550A but the 750 is the same motor with a bigger cap
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE