Middle cylinder stopping firing

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
shunter

Re: Middle cylinder stopping firing

Post by shunter »

Thanks for that I will try iridium, i have contacted Green Spark Plug Company for an equivalent to the B8ES, I will see if I can find B7ES on the island just to try them until the iridium turn up, I presume if fitting the 7ES you fit them as a set of three. Thanks.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Sorry to hear of your medical maladies. Not sure you’d want to swap with mine, but who’s counting? Hope it’s in the rear view mirror anyhoo.
On the dratted centre plug. I refuse to accept that it needs a different plug type. My 2cents is that your HT lead or plug cap on the centre isn’t making properly. Have you ever replaced the HT leads? Or even taken the plug cap off, snipped off 3mm of lead & reattached the cap? You might do this while swapping a cap with a reliable cylinder.
If this doesn’t fix it, I’d check the low voltage loom wires to that coil & to the points.
I think one way or another, the HT spark is weak somehow.
Good luck!
Mike
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thanks Mike, I did replace the HT cap but didnt snip off the end of the lead I will try that. I originally thought a coil fault but everytime it happens and I put a new plug in it works again but I will try what you suggested. The health issue was very scary but hopefully behind me now and thanks for your best wishes, Stewart.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I am with mike a different type of plug won't cure any fault. if you want I can ship over a set of coils for you to try..hope you are ok now...we may come over Classic TT week just for a holiday maybe see you for a pint.
teazer

Post by teazer »

If the plug is wet with fuel, it suggests 2 possibilities.

It could be a weak spark and Miles (for the spell check anoraks) suggestion is a great place to start. Also try a new plug cap. They are cheap.

The other possibility is too much fuel which could be a jet that came loose or dirt in the float valve allowing excess fuel. If the electrical fixes don't cure it, pull the carbs to clean them and check the FUEL level. Not the float level but the fuel level.

It could also be a partially blocked air jet. Blow through them one carb at a time and compare them to each other to be sure.
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thanks guys your advice is much appreciated, I like the idea of trying a new coil pack first thank you for your very kind offer Baz I will PM you as you may not be able to come over classic week unless they change things over here.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I can’t see the classic happening we have had no correspondence from the club.
I say we I mean my rider.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Dont think there will be any racing but we have our ferry crossing still and campsite at Ballamoar booked "just in case"
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
shunter

Post by shunter »

Sorry guys but all racing is cancelled this year, our borders are still closed to non residents with no news on when they will be opened. We have not had a new case for over 30 days so the government are under a lot of pressure to keep them closed.
shunter

Post by shunter »

It looks like the problem is solved with fitting a new set of coils very kindly sent out by Baz a huge thanks for that. We have done 160 miles now with the new coils and it has run like clockwork. Thanks for everyone's input.