Unreliable old Suzukis.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
xr738

Re: Unreliable old Suzukis.

Post by xr738 »

Thank you mizzy and Alan for the warm welcome.

Although I live not that far a away from the Mid Rhine valley just 50km I never managed to have trip on it. But I think it is always the case that you don't appreciate the surrounding your living in enough.

I am not as long a diver as you are. I started when I turned 50 and it is still a holiday passion nothing I would really enjoy over here too dark and cold. Anything warm with good visibilty I prefer. My mainstay is the red sea.

Btw I used to live more or less in the middle between you two although a bit more to the north. Huddersfield it was. I lived with my then girlfriend and wrote my dissertion and later worked there.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Aha, a German Yorkshireman! Can't be bad!!! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
xr738

Post by xr738 »

I love Yorkshire, I really do. I love the real Yorkshire dialect, the one spoken by old farmers. I had a house mate who came from farm near Scarborough and when he spoke in his home dialect nobody understood him except me as it was very close to the lower german spoken in my home region in the northwest.

As you are from Wombwell then you probably now The Leadmill in Sheffield, really nice venue.
teazer

Post by teazer »

xr738 wrote:I love Yorkshire, I really do. I love the real Yorkshire dialect, the one spoken by old farmers. I had a house mate who came from farm near Scarborough and when he spoke in his home dialect nobody understood him except me as it was very close to the lower german spoken in my home region in the northwest.

As you are from Wombwell then you probably now The Leadmill in Sheffield, really nice venue.
And therein lies the tale about the English Language which is derived from past invaders including the Angles and Saxons form what is now Germany and the Normans from France and the Romans from wherever they came from...

A few decades ago I was working a summer job from Uni in a steel mill in Cumbria and when some of the guys there spoke, I had no idea what they were saying. Many of the words were not just pronounced differently to most of the UK, but sounded like a foreign language. It wasn't until years later that I realized that some words were from Norse and others were somewhere between Norse and English as it's now evolved.

Even further back, when my parents dragged us from Englandshire to Scotland, we discovered new words and all manner of different ways to say things. And when I went to High School about 20 miles away I realized that much of my new vocabulary was local to that town and was not some universal Scottish language. Some could be traced back to Gaelic and others were just local words that had evolved.

Language is becoming more standardized across the country but it's good to hear local dialects still. It's great reminder of local differences and local history, which isn't just British History. It's a lot more complex and nuanced and interesting.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hear, hear.
C'est la vie as the Germans said when visiting Paris......... :roll: :lol:
teazer

Post by teazer »

Funny you should say that.
It was weird sitting in a cafe in Paris a few years ago and seeing a black and white photo of German officers sitting in that same cafe during WW2. Not much had changed about the cafe, but one hopes the world is a better place. It's a reminder though that we could be back to those dark times if we fail to respond to changes in our society that are not healthy.
malky

Post by malky »

teazer wrote:Funny you should say that.
It was weird sitting in a cafe in Paris a few years ago and seeing a black and white photo of German officers sitting in that same cafe during WW2. Not much had changed about the cafe, but one hopes the world is a better place. It's a reminder though that we could be back to those dark times if we fail to respond to changes in our society that are not healthy.
was Renee behind the counter serving the Gateau from the Chateau :lol:
xr738

Post by xr738 »

No, but was trying to bring the madonna with the big boobies by van Clomp out of the country.
Did you see Herr Flick oder Fraulein Helga?

But to the dialect. The real yorkshire dialect spoken in the country side is probably more saxon with the odd word of Norse strawn in.
Otherwise I would have had problems to understand it 'cause Norse is quite a bit removed from the lower german of my home region.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

We all know plenty of Anglo Saxon.
Fortunately, on here most of it is changed for something more polite though....
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh, doe forget, wiv got blokes an' wenches from a small fishing village called Bolloxwidge near Walsall.
Now, us Black Country (ya car say that !) people have ar own dialect ay we ?
Now mek sure yow check the rear lights on ya car, because Back Lights Matter :lol: :oops: