Idiot of the month !!!!

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Idiot of the month !!!!

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi after over 6 yrs doing a GT750 renovation and nearly ready for the first fire up I noticed the clutch wasn't disengaging,I tie wrapped the lever to the bars and put her in gear and tried turning the rear wheel by hand but the engine was still turning ,thought I'd try to kick start it free but the kick start moved real easy ,like when you take the plugs out,took the plugs out to see if the pistons were moving ,put my finger over the hole and felt pressure so stupidly put a plastic tie wrap in the hole ,the piston pushed it up ,tried again but must have been in too far and the piston cut the end off !!!!! Then the kick start pressure magically returned but the tie wrap end didn't,took the exhaust off to see if it was in the cylinder but can't see it,not it the exhaust neither,basically wanted to know if it's a full engine strip down or will it blow out when the bike fires up and any idea what the loss in pressure on the kick start was and any tips on freeing off the clutch
Regards and thanks from France
barney01

Re: Idiot of the month !!!!

Post by barney01 »

Hi.
The end of the tie rap has to be in the cylinder somewhere, i suppose it could have dropped into the transfer port and i wouldnt risk starting it with any foreign matter in there.
The clutch has a two piece actuating rod that goes across the engine. They are both in there ? The clutch actuator arm is also adjusted correctly?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

barney01 wrote:Hi.
The end of the tie rap has to be in the cylinder somewhere, i suppose it could have dropped into the transfer port and i wouldnt risk starting it with any foreign matter in there.
The clutch has a two piece actuating rod that goes across the engine. They are both in there ? The clutch actuator arm is also adjusted correctly?
Hi Barney01 ,thanks for the quick reply,the tie wrap must have gone into the transfer port as when the piston came back up it stopped then as I put more pressure on it cut it,if I dropped the oil and took the right hand casing off,it was the right hand piston ,would the tie wrap end be in the bottom of the engine?
I've never had the bike fired up in the 6yrs + that I've had her,always put a few drops of two stroke oil in the cylinders and kicked her over though so everything is moving freely,strange how even with the plugs in you could push the kick start by hand then after the tie wrap disaster it went back to normal .When you pull the clutch lever in there's lots of resistance and movement can be heard so maybe after all the years stood the plates have stuck,always had plenty of oil and stored in dry conditions
Regards from France
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If you have'nt done so, you need to get the oil out and remove the clutch cover. Undo the clutch pressure plate bolts and remove the steels and friction plates. Give them a good clean with a solvent and with fine emery paper or wet and dry paper lightly sand the discs to remove any debris that may be attached. Look at the 'fins' of the clutch basket. Sometimes they have deep wear ridges from heavy use. This can cause the clutch operation to become stiff. If the are present carefully try to smooth them out using first coarse then fine emery paper..
If the end of the tie wrap has gone down the transfer port there is a fair chance it will be in the crankcase. As a last resort remove the SRIS valve and see if you can see it.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

barney01 wrote:If you have'nt done so, you need to get the oil out and remove the clutch cover. Undo the clutch pressure plate bolts and remove the steels and friction plates. Give them a good clean with a solvent and with fine emery paper or wet and dry paper lightly sand the discs to remove any debris that may be attached. Look at the 'fins' of the clutch basket. Sometimes they have deep wear ridges from heavy use. This can cause the clutch operation to become stiff. If the are present carefully try to smooth them out using first coarse then fine emery paper..
If the end of the tie wrap has gone down the transfer port there is a fair chance it will be in the crankcase. As a last resort remove the SRIS valve and see if you can see it.
On with the clutch now cheers
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

barney01 wrote:If you have'nt done so, you need to get the oil out and remove the clutch cover. Undo the clutch pressure plate bolts and remove the steels and friction plates. Give them a good clean with a solvent and with fine emery paper or wet and dry paper lightly sand the discs to remove any debris that may be attached. Look at the 'fins' of the clutch basket. Sometimes they have deep wear ridges from heavy use. This can cause the clutch operation to become stiff. If the are present carefully try to smooth them out using first coarse then fine emery paper..
Clutch sorted,not much crud but cleaned and gently sanded and it seems to be working now,going to strip the head next ,hopefully the elusive tie wrap will be sat waiting !!!
Regards from France