Gremlins/feck up fairies

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
PaulD738

Gremlins/feck up fairies

Post by PaulD738 »

My T500 developed an intermittent fault with the indicators (yes I know :roll: ) they worked fine at first but when riding they where very hit or miss. The strange thing is without the motor running they where fine?
My first thought was maybe an overcharging fault but that checked out ok. So then I thought it was an earth problem. The front indicators are mounted on long stems fitted to the top yoke with no earth return other than through the taper bearings. My brainwave was to run an earth wire from the body of the indicator bowl through the hollow stem and yoke into the headlamp and connect to the earth return there.
I took the flasher lense off and run the extra earth wire to the headlamp then soldered a connector the the single screw fixing the bulb holder to the body of the light (cheap & nasty pattern jobbies) so one done and one to do. I took the lense off the second indicator when lo & behold the problem falls into my lap literally! The single screw holding the bulb holder had vibrated out so the earth was dodgy to say the least :lol: I fitted the proper earth anyway for piece of mind so job done.
Two lessons learnt, check the obvious before making work for yourself and don't scrimp buying heap pattern copies.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
malky

Re: Gremlins/feck up fairies

Post by malky »

got those cheap copy indicators on the L reg T500 that we just finished they look great but the internals have shaken themselves to bits after just two run outs and now they are rattling like a bag of bolts - plan is to transplant the guts out of the old units which were in good nick apart from poor chrome ,will have a go at the weekend
Attachments
20200802_031948.jpg