Head gasket leak

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
stevewharton

Re: Head gasket leak

Post by stevewharton »

+1 with the genuine head gasket and the plain washers and spring washers are a must. The dowty washers are a good idea too if you're using the bike in all weathers and go for Radseal Gold for extra sealing properties, buy on ebay, or Halfords sometimes have it on offer.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
teazer

Post by teazer »

Most aftermarket head gaskets are fine, except they are too large in the bore. The real question is why is it leaking.

I would drain the coolant and pull the head off and determine why it isn't sealing. You can put a straight edge across the head and then the barrel to look for any raised portions or bowing. Start by cleaning off any residue from the old gasket and then put the head back on dry and see if you can detect any rocking or gaps.

If it seems OK, smear a thin layer of bearing blue across the head and place it on the block and press down by hand. Remove the head and see where it touched and where it didn't.

There are a few possibilities to watch out for. When we tighten bolts into the barrel, the material around the bolts is pulled up slightly and sometimes enough to cause it to leak. Those can be carefully dressed down by draw filing the block with a new fine tooth file. You should also chamfer all the holes a little to allow for that.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Well obviously all that too, as well as the Radseal. :oops: :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

If I remember correctly Suzuki recommend you should use leak sealer when commissioning/rebuilding the engine.

I used this with no issues. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184282635677
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote:+1 with the genuine head gasket and the plain washers and spring washers are a must. The dowty washers are a good idea too if you're using the bike in all weathers and go for Radseal Gold for extra sealing properties, buy on ebay, or Halfords sometimes have it on offer.
Hi Steve ,thanks for the reply,got the washers on order also the rad seal via amazon,not many halfords over here in France unfortunately .
Cheers
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote:Most aftermarket head gaskets are fine, except they are too large in the bore. The real question is why is it leaking.

I would drain the coolant and pull the head off and determine why it isn't sealing. You can put a straight edge across the head and then the barrel to look for any raised portions or bowing. Start by cleaning off any residue from the old gasket and then put the head back on dry and see if you can detect any rocking or gaps.

If it seems OK, smear a thin layer of bearing blue across the head and place it on the block and press down by hand. Remove the head and see where it touched and where it didn't.

There are a few possibilities to watch out for. When we tighten bolts into the barrel, the material around the bolts is pulled up slightly and sometimes enough to cause it to leak. Those can be carefully dressed down by draw filing the block with a new fine tooth file. You should also chamfer all the holes a little to allow for that.
Thanks for the reply teazer,the head has been cleaned and is residue free,think the problem maybe not using any washers,it like this when I bought it 7 yrs ago so with it not leaking I wrongly assumed it didn't need any.Will try the blue test idea of pressing head down and see what it shows
Cheers
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote:Well obviously all that too, as well as the Radseal. :oops: :roll:
Rad seal plus on its way as we speak
Cheers
teazer

Post by teazer »

Washers are not the answer and rad seal or Barr's Leaks should not be necessary. Admittedly, I have only rebuild a half dozen GT750 motors and none of them leaked and I don't add anything to the coolant.

Washers are designed to keep rain water out of the head and barrel to stop the studs from rusting.

If the head leaks it's because the surfaces are not flat enough or the gasket is faulty. Almost any aftermarket gasket should seal effectively, but the best is Cometic. Even guys with copper gaskets get the heads to seal, though they often use sealant just to be sure.

Check the faces - meticulously.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I think mr boneheads explanation for his leak was that his head bolts Seem to have bottomed out,
Because he has no washers of any discription,therefore not compressing the gasket.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Kettletimes3 wrote:I think mr boneheads explanation for his leak was that his head bolts Seem to have bottomed out,
Because he has no washers of any discription,therefore not compressing the gasket.
The true explanation kettletimes3 is that Mr Bonehead shouldn't go poking around his cylinders with tie wraps ,if he hadn't he would be off up the road in a puff of two stroke smoke :roll:
Cheers Mr B