Head gasket leak

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Head gasket leak

Post by Mr Bonehead »

F2CE9389-A91B-43BF-B6C5-8A7C03E0BF1A.jpeg
Hi,just put the new head gasket on the gt 750,torqued it down in the order and lb ft in the manual and coolant is weaping out from underneath of some of the large bolt and the one stud with normal nut on in the centre,it has been stood for 7 years leak free before I started the restoration but I had to remove the head to retrieve a lost tie wrap,,the gasket is new ,the head bolts are also new but I have just noticed that there is no washer or spring loaded washer on like on the old original one that I found in a box of bits that came with the bike ,is this the problem? Sounds a bit thick I know but with never removing the head before I am unaware of the washer set up
Cheers from France
canaletto5

Re: Head gasket leak

Post by canaletto5 »

Have you fitted the Dowty washers to the bolts? Kev
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote:Have you fitted the Dowty washers to the bolts? Kev
Hi kev,when I took the head off it just had bolts and No washers at all,Sat for 7 years not lost a drop,found a old bolt in a box with a spring washer and a washer with rubber so assume this is the one you mean,seen them on e bay ,11 in a pack but it's also weaping
3FB75322-8A38-4585-B331-442F22FAB790.jpeg
from a few of the smaller bolts as well as the central stud nut
Cheers
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

That one looks a bit chewed up but, I think it is more to keep wet out than coolant in.It is best to fit new ones. There should also be a spring washer above the Dowty. All the other bolts and studs should have a flat and spring washer fitted. Finally, is it a genuine or aftermarket gasket? Some aftermarket jobs are notorious for leaking
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote:That one looks a bit chewed up but, I think it is more to keep wet out than coolant in.It is best to fit new ones. There should also be a spring washer above the Dowty. All the other bolts and studs should have a flat and spring washer fitted. Finally, is it a genuine or aftermarket gasket? Some aftermarket jobs are notorious for leaking
Thanks for the reply,if the dowty washers are to keep the rain out not coolant in then it looks like the aftermarket gasket is crap,bought it on France ebay for £45 just for the head so that was a waste of money.Looks like the only way forward is new dowty and spring washers and a genuine Suzuki gasket,bugger!!!!
Cheers
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Just another quick thought,if I haven’t fit the dowty washers and spring loaded washers to the head bolts would this stop the head nipping down,just taken the head off again and noticed that there isn’t a single mark on the gasket,as though the bolts have reached their limit and even though the torque is 25lb ft it’s not nipping up,probably clutching st straws but thought I’d ask the experts
Cheers
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Yes, quite possible
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote:Yes, quite possible
Ordered a set of spring washers and dowty washers so see if that works,got them off eBay from a very helpful seller,saw my post on here so if you're reading this one thankyou very much for your advice
Cheers
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

The plain washer and the spring washer measure about 2.5 to 3.00mm thick, so if you haven't got a plain washer and a spring washer on the head bolts, it's possible that the bolts are bottoming out before they nip the head down. Are the "new" bolts after market? If so where did you buy them from? And why didn't they come with the washers supplied?
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote:The plain washer and the spring washer measure about 2.5 to 3.00mm thick, so if you haven't got a plain washer and a spring washer on the head bolts, it's possible that the bolts are bottoming out before they nip the head down. Are the "new" bolts after market? If so where did you buy them from? And why didn't they come with the washers supplied?
Hi Steve,the bolts were already in place when I bought the bike 7 yrs ago,only just managed to start the renovation ,as you are aware from my previous posts I only had to take the head off to retrieve a lost tie wrap,I've never had the bike running but after 7yrs there's been no leaks until I replaced the head gasket.I've ordered a new set of washers (dowty) and spring washers so fingers crossed that should work,also going to try the rad seal method that a few members on this forum have done with success.
Thanks for the reply