Kick start

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Re: Kick start

Post by Mr Bonehead »

canaletto5 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:42 pm
Roger Ackery wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm Yep, Spot On, advice ;)
Yep, had the same problem on my blue GS750. Did my head in until I realised what was wrong. Had all sorts of visions of broken internal parts :roll: :lol:
Cheers for the reply
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:16 pm Nowt to do with any of that.
It's a 'kick' start and should only be used with a foot.
Or remove the thing altogether and just use the electric 'leg' with a cover over the shaft like on my GT550A.
It was a question to do more with curiosity than anything Alan,the whole head off missing tie wrap problem I created was caused by what I thought was a loss of cylinder pressure,that's why I used the tie wrap in the spark plug hole to see if the piston was moving,just wanted to see if I had been a complete plonker if it's a standard thing,I don't understand how a gentle push on the kick start doesn't move the pistons yet a faster push does,probably never use the kick start anyway and I always stick by the old saying if it's not bust don't fix it it's just strange
Cheers
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

stevewharton wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 am But I find there's something basic and satisfying about using a kick start, so I always kickstart my kettle from cold and then use the button when the engine's warm.
I have been known to kick it in anger too, accompanied with shouts of "you b*st*rd" when I've been angry with it ;)
[/quot

I can see the pleasure in the kick start method as long as it starts first go but after owning a 1980s ktm,RD350LC and a djebel 600 single Suzuki electric is for me ,plus I think my heart would stop before the bike started now!!!!Thanks for the reply
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 am
Or remove the thing altogether and just use the electric 'leg' with a cover over the shaft like on my GT550A.
It was a question to do more with curiosity than anything Alan.
No probs Mr.B. My comments were addressed fishy Wharton, not such a careful and erudite person such as yourself. ;)
I wouldn't be so crass as to make daft or hurtful comments to anyone unless they deserve it! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:31 pm
Mr Bonehead wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 am
It was a question to do more with curiosity than anything Alan.
No probs Mr.B. My comments were addressed fishy Wharton, not such a careful and erudite person such as yourself. ;)
I wouldn't be so crass as to make daft or hurtful comments to anyone unless they deserve it! :lol:
I think if I was a tiny bit erudite I would be whizzing about on my kettle now instead of torquing the head down and praying for no leaks,but thankyou for those kind words
teazer

Post by teazer »

The kickstarter operates from the kickstarter shaft obviously and the gear on that shaft is permanently in gear with first gear and that drives through the clutch. So far so good. If the clutch is slipping, the motor won't turn over.

But it's not quite that simple. The gear is actually free to rotate on the kickstarter shaft and it rotates as long as the motor is running and clutch is engaged, because it also drives the oil pump. It engages when the kickstarter is rotated slightly. Behind teh gear is a special device which slides in and out on the shaft and is toothed. It is held back out of engagement when the kickstarter is rotated forwards by the return spring. There is a small stop that holds it out of engagement in the static position.

As the kickstarter shaft rotates slightly, the part that Suzuki calls "starter. kick" is released by the stop and a spring forces it to engage with the gear.
All of those parts are inside the cases.... In your case (pardon the pun) I suspect that either the "starter, kick" is sticky or it's missing the spring.

As long as the kickstarter return spring is in place you are good to go.
Attachments
Dsc00030.jpg
p19a.jpg
p19.jpg
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:54 pm The kickstarter operates from the kickstarter shaft obviously and the gear on that shaft is permanently in gear with first gear and that drives through the clutch. So far so good. If the clutch is slipping, the motor won't turn over.

But it's not quite that simple. The gear is actually free to rotate on the kickstarter shaft and it rotates as long as the motor is running and clutch is engaged, because it also drives the oil pump. It engages when the kickstarter is rotated slightly. Behind teh gear is a special device which slides in and out on the shaft and is toothed. It is held back out of engagement when the kickstarter is rotated forwards by the return spring. There is a small stop that holds it out of engagement in the static position.

As the kickstarter shaft rotates slightly, the part that Suzuki calls "starter. kick" is released by the stop and a spring forces it to engage with the gear.
All of those parts are inside the cases.... In your case (pardon the pun) I suspect that either the "starter, kick" is sticky or it's missing the spring.

As long as the kickstarter return spring is in place you are good to go.
Thanks for the reply teazer,I don't think it's a problem I was just curious,thought it might be some sort of centrifugal thing where if the kick start is depressed slowly the cog didn't engaged which would explain why when depressed fast it does engage,the electric turns over just fine as does the kick start when done with speed,not dismissing any replies or advice from any forum members yet as the kettle is all new to me and saw a post recent about every time someone used the brakes on their kettle it dropped two cylinders!!!,will get the head torquing done then fuel the tank and see what happens and thanks again for the advice,I need to send you photos of my Coeurdelion ex Harry Barlow drag bike when I get chance
Cheers Mr B
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:13 pm Coeurdelion
Is that anything like a Dandelion? :? Or just a drag thing? :shock: ;)
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:38 pm
Mr Bonehead wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:13 pm Coeurdelion
Is that anything like a Dandelion? :? Or just a drag thing? :shock: ;)
It's a drag thing Alan,dandelion in french is a pissenlit which literally translates as wet the bed :D that could be your who wants to be a millionaire final question ,if it is make sure your phone a friend is me so I can give you my bank paying in details :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, locally dandelions were known as 'pissbeds,' so that follows, although dandelion is from the french 'dent de lion' or translated, 'tooth of lion,' which is supposed to represent the shape of the leaves of the plant.
Although after an afternoon pulling the bl33ders out of a 'garden' loses on the amusement side despite being true.
Sadly, I didn't have to look those facts up..... :roll: