Kick start

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Kick start

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi ,still on with putting the head back on the kettle,noticed that if I push the kickstart down slowly by hand the pistons don’t move but if you push it quick they do,is this normal?
Cheers
blackhat400

Re: Kick start

Post by blackhat400 »

Hi " i think your clutch needs adjusting,[ slippng] as the kickstart works thru layshaft . . if you pull clutch in = no kickstart friction. .. [ my 550 is like this anyway,, and the H2 Kwak is same,,
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Yep, Spot On, advice ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Roger Ackery wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm Yep, Spot On, advice ;)
Yep, had the same problem on my blue GS750. Did my head in until I realised what was wrong. Had all sorts of visions of broken internal parts :roll: :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nowt to do with any of that.
It's a 'kick' start and should only be used with a foot.
Or remove the thing altogether and just use the electric 'leg' with a cover over the shaft like on my GT550A.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

But I find there's something basic and satisfying about using a kick start, so I always kickstart my kettle from cold and then use the button when the engine's warm.
I have been known to kick it in anger too, accompanied with shouts of "you b*st*rd" when I've been angry with it ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 am But I find there's something basic and satisfying about using a kick start, so I always kickstart my kettle from cold and then use the button when the engine's warm.
Do you do the same with your car Steve? Thought not - so why do it with the bike. 'Basically' you're potty I suspect. Or get a better battery.
I have been known to kick it in anger too, accompanied with shouts of "you b*st*rd" when I've been angry with it ;)
Don't get angry, get even. If your bike displays signs of illegitimacy, adopt it properly, or can't you adopt a fish?
My 550 electric start is so reliable, I've taken the kickstart lever off and fitted a pretty alloy cover over the end of the kickstart shaft.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Don't get angry, get even. If your bike displays signs of illegitimacy, adopt it properly, or can't you adopt a fish?
My 550 electric start is so reliable, I've taken the kickstart lever off and fitted a pretty alloy cover over the end of the kickstart shaft.
[/quote]

It's called humour Alan, not sarcasm, what you don't get it? Thought not. :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh soz mate. I missed that. You were being humerus? :o
I'd give that emotion the elbow before it attacks you again. :|
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

blackhat400 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:01 pm Hi " i think your clutch needs adjusting,[ slippng] as the kickstart works thru layshaft . . if you pull clutch in = no kickstart friction. .. [ my 550 is like this anyway,, and the H2 Kwak is same,,
Thanks for the reply