Fuel tap,vaccum or gravity

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Fuel tap,vaccum or gravity

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi all, just fired up my GT 750A ,first time I've heard her run since I bought her 7+ yrs ago.Sorted the coolant leak out but got a leak on the fuel tap and 2 carburettor bowls,I was wondering if I would be better buying a repair kit for the fuel tap or a brand new gravity feed tap as they're basically the same price,any advice welcomed.Regarding the leaky bowls on the carburettors,is it a matter of buying new(again any recommendations welcomed as to from where) or is it a wipe of fuel resistant sealer?.
Cheers Mr B
mizzytheman

Re: Fuel tap,vaccum or gravity

Post by mizzytheman »

Mr Bonehead wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm Hi all, just fired up my GT 750A ,first time I've heard her run since I bought her 7+ yrs ago.Sorted the coolant leak out but got a leak on the fuel tap and 2 carburettor bowls,I was wondering if I would be better buying a repair kit for the fuel tap or a brand new gravity feed tap as they're basically the same price,any advice welcomed.Regarding the leaky bowls on the carburettors,is it a matter of buying new(again any recommendations welcomed as to from where) or is it a wipe of fuel resistant sealer?.
Cheers Mr B

I would always go with a vacuum controlled fuel tap for a GT750 You wouldn’t want the contents of you fuel tank ending up in the bottom of the engine if you forget to turn off the fuel tap after a ride out.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Deffo repair vacuum tap. The floatbowls are probably over filling which is normally down to badly adjusted fuel height or worn float needle valve. This valve shuts the fuel feed when the correct level is attained.
Its up to you but if you buy new valves go genuine Mikuni or you will have more problems.
You could try cleaning the tap have a look here for help
https://youtu.be/qWNyvjaWfz8
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

barney01 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:38 pm Deffo repair vacuum tap. The floatbowls are probably over filling which is normally down to badly adjusted fuel height or worn float needle valve. This valve shuts the fuel feed when the correct level is attained.
Its up to you but if you buy new valves go genuine Mikuni or you will have more problems.
You could try cleaning the tap have a look here for help
https://youtu.be/qWNyvjaWfz8
Thanks for the reply barney01 ,will check the video out,the bikes only done 12000 miles,would they wear out after so few miles?
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

mizzytheman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Mr Bonehead wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm Hi all, just fired up my GT 750A ,first time I've heard her run since I bought her 7+ yrs ago.Sorted the coolant leak out but got a leak on the fuel tap and 2 carburettor bowls,I was wondering if I would be better buying a repair kit for the fuel tap or a brand new gravity feed tap as they're basically the same price,any advice welcomed.Regarding the leaky bowls on the carburettors,is it a matter of buying new(again any recommendations welcomed as to from where) or is it a wipe of fuel resistant sealer?.
Cheers Mr B

I would always go with a vacuum controlled fuel tap for a GT750 You wouldn’t want the contents of you fuel tank ending up in the bottom of the engine if you forget to turn off the fuel tap after a ride out.
Thanks for the advice,I'm more concerned about forgetting it's a vacuum one and switching it to prime thinking I've switched it off !!!!