Helicoils

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Mr Bonehead

Helicoils

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi,any members ever fitted helicoils in the carburettor body on the GT750 ? Got a few threads that won't allow the screw to nip that final bit to stop the fuel leak.Any advice gladly received
Cheers from stormy ,wet France
Alan H

Re: Helicoils

Post by Alan H »

Slightly shorten the screw, or better still clean the crap out of the bottom of the hole.
It'll nip up then.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I have just done a set of flatslide carbs with great success,
A little more difficult because they are only 4mm.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Alan H wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:35 pm Slightly shorten the screw, or better still clean the crap out of the bottom of the hole.
It'll nip up then.
Thanks for the advice Alan H,will try that first before going down the liquid metal route,also will look in the box of plenty for some different bolts
Cheers MrB
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Kettletimes3 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:43 pm I have just done a set of flatslide carbs with great success,
A little more difficult because they are only 4mm.
Thanks kettletimes3 ,if the liquid metal route fails it will be the helicoil fix
Cheers MrB
teazer

Post by teazer »

I have had a few where the first part of the thread was stripped but the rest was OK so I fitted LONGER screws.

I have also had to drill and tap the body to the next largest size. Not on a Kettle, but that should be possible in a pinch.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

teazer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:29 pm I have had a few where the first part of the thread was stripped but the rest was OK so I fitted LONGER screws.

I have also had to drill and tap the body to the next largest size. Not on a Kettle, but that should be possible in a pinch.
Hi teazer,thanks for the reply,cleaned out the threads in the carburettor bodies today and noticed a couple streetlight towards the end so just run a longer screw through,seemed like 43 yrs of crap on the last part of the thread ,will try longer screws also had a good tip from oldbeancanopener,put a few thin strands of copper wire ,like what's in multicore electrical cable ,down the side of the hole before putting the screw in.
Cheers from windy but not rainy France