Exhaust

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
George

Exhaust

Post by George »

The right side pipe has a nice scar on the bottom of it . So the previous owner dropped it . I replaced the leaky exhaust gaskets . When reinstalled the pipes are not lining up properly . The only remaining issue is the small / short crossover pipes on my 74' aren't fitting properly . My question is has anyone taken those out , and used high temp silicone tubing . Or could I just cancel them out completely ?
barney01

Re: Exhaust

Post by barney01 »

Hi
When you say they are not lining up properly do you mean the crossflow pipes? Here is the tried and trusted method to refit the exhausts.
Firstly take the centre pipe (with new o rings) to the bench and use a rubber mallet to insert the crossflows in. Give them a good clout to make sure they are home.

Secondly fit centre pipe leave collar loose so it can move. Then fit outer pipes again leave loose collars.

Third fit the crossflow onto outer pipes then using a ratchet strap across the crossflows pull everything nice and tight making sure as you do everything is all in line.

Finally tighten the collars fully up before releasing the ratchet strap :D
Attachments
exhaust strap.jpg
exhaust strap.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 630 times
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
George

Post by George »

Hindsight is 20 - 20 . I thought about using a strap . It's just getting the pipes nice and tight and not spitting out at the motor makes the cross flows not line up . Hey , I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy .
Burblebloke

Post by Burblebloke »

Hi, recently bought a kettle and love it, only issue is that the right hand pipe spits out oil at the collar, I'm planning to remove the whole exhaust to give it a good clean, I heve new gaskets but see I need 'o' rings for the crossflow pipes. Question is how many do I need? Also I'm hoping that this is simply a sealing issue and will cure the problem, any comments on that please?
barney01

Post by barney01 »

New gaskets should cure that leak. Remember that you should NEVER bolt the collar flush to the cylinder unwind it so that when tightened down there is at least a 1mm gap. This will ensure the gasket seals and also allows the exhaust some movement whilst the engine is running.
With reference to the crossflow pioes. Fit oversize viton O rings and ratchet them together before tightening the collars. Look here for info viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8143&hilit=O+rings
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Burblebloke

Post by Burblebloke »

barney01 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 pm New gaskets should cure that leak. Remember that you should NEVER bolt the collar flush to the cylinder unwind it so that when tightened down there is at least a 1mm gap. This will ensure the gasket seals and also allows the exhaust some movement whilst the engine is running.
With reference to the crossflow pioes. Fit oversize viton O rings and ratchet them together before tightening the collars. Look here for info viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8143&hilit=O+rings
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! Will let you know how I get on.
Burblebloke

Post by Burblebloke »

I have now done this job, unfortunately the threads on the offending pipe were a little difficult to undo indicating thread issues and when I reassembled I needed to use some force. The leak problem seems to be cured though I am now concerned that the threads will need repairing at some stage. Does anybody have any similar experience? I'm considering removing again and helicoiling the threads as I hate to think the job isn't 'right'. Is this a good idea and could anybody guide me toward the correct drill and coil size please. Also would you experts out there recommend this course of action for a reasonably competent amateur?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The O rings on the connectors need to be a 'gnats' too big. I'll find mine out next time I get in the garage and let you know the sizes. (Or measure the groove and get some 3.5mm O rings with that measurement as the 'outer'.
The ratchet straps will DEFINITELY be needed. Just smear 2t oil in the exhausts (female part) that the connectors go in - if you oil the inner pipe indentations, the O rings get displaced. Trust me on that one, I found out about 8 years ago when I did the 550K......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

My first course of action would be to run a die through the threads in the cylinder head just to make sure they are clean and smooth running. Then i would buy new bolts (some stainless can be obtained from Mark Read on here) make sure a smear of copper slip on the threads.
If the threads are too damaged helicoil is the way forward look here for help :D
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12790&hilit=Jig
https://classicbikefasteners.co.uk/coll ... 7-polished
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE