Gt750 Rattle from engine

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
burgs

Re: Gt750 Rattle from engine

Post by burgs »

Hi
Got a couple of hours in today, result from the work is the timing plate has a couple of degrees play in it, the points plate has had a big hit at some stage and is bent and twisted, obviously I didn't see that one before, but very banged up.
Plan from here is order an Accent ignition system, delivery is 4 plus weeks, maybe 6 to Australia plus freight has gone up.
I could not get regular results from the multi meter when testing, so need to look further into the points and cam for wear, the points don't seem to be making a clean reliable break when testing with a multimeter, ie sometimes a clean break and other times no break for several degrees.
I have the condenser's off and coils disconnected fir testing.
I think I have a new set of points somewhere in a box, if I cannot find them I will take the plate off the 2nd bike it should be good to try it while waiting for Accent ignition.

Regards
Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Time to dig a bit deeper, fitted degree plate and and timing is still all over the place, there is play in the points cam shaft and it makes a big difference to the timing, looks as if bearings maybe shot.
So a little bit deeper I go.

Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Removed the points camshaft this morning, most of the play is in the 6005 bearings fit onto the shaft journal, both bearings have vey little play but are a bit lumpy at times, might be a bit of damage on the balls as the roughness comes and goes.

So two new bearings and some Loctite on the shaft, and see how that goes.

Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Fitted timing disc to check Suzuki timing star it is spot on, so will use to set timing.

New bearings fitted to breaker shaft and play is gone. still had problems timing, removed and straightened breaker mounting plate, it was bad, refitted and got timing close, but still not happy.

Looks like the old points are worn too far, lots of movement on the points pivot.

Postman came with a present, an Accent ignition system, so off with the old, in with the new, 25 minutes later and we are off and running, how easy was that to fit and time 8-)
Gathered up helmet and gloves, then down comes the rain :shock: not used that here.

Still raining today or about to so might leave it till next year :D , engine is idling better than before can't wait for road test to see if I still have the rattle/knock, in the engine.

All the best for the New Year
Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

teazer wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:24 pm If there is no perceptible play in any of the rods, and the noise is from the left side, I would remove the left side cover and wee if the starter clutch or gear are loose.
HI Teaser
Checked the gears when I was inside, all appear good no play etc, still been too wet to test yet, but having started it up a couple of times I can faintly here the knocking, so not feeling too confident at this stage.
The wet doesn't worry me, but getting out of the yard dose, as we are renovating and the there is a big clay bog hole in the way.

Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Went for longer ride today, bike is running better than ever but the noise is now getting worse, so the plan now is to rebuild bike No2 with the rebuilt crank and get it ready for the Bathurst rally the week before Easter, seven days of riding :D .

As soon as I get No.2 going I will strip No. 1 down and send the crank away to be rebuilt or whatever is requires.

The new exhaust system seems to be working well 3 into 2 with the spilt for the three to two being around 200mm down from the cylinder ports, as per something I read from snow mobile information, now seems to have more low down torque, and still pulls strong all the way to the upper limits.

Burgs