Coil test

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
gladders

Coil test

Post by gladders »

Fitted new HT leads to my coils as they were in pretty bad shape, is there a way I can test to confirm continuity to the plug cap before I fit them on the bike?
Cheers
Gladders
GT750B, CBX1000, Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Alan H

Re: Coil test

Post by Alan H »

Test between earth (coil mount) and the plug cap. Use none resistor plug caps unless you have electronic ignition.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Yes, pop your tongue on the end of the lead and try kicking the bike over, you will soon find out! :lol:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

gladders wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 pm Fitted new HT leads to my coils as they were in pretty bad shape, is there a way I can test to confirm continuity to the plug cap before I fit them on the bike?
Cheers
Gladders
Check both primary and secondary resistances to be sure

Primary should be between 2-4 ohms. To check, Put your multimeter probes on the connectors for each coil in the disconnected socket. This one
IMAG0602.jpg

You measure between the points wire (White, black and black/yellow) and the orange wire for each coil

Secondary resistances should be around 12-14K. Measure between the end of the HT lead and the points wire for each coil in the disconnected socket.

As Alan said, if a cap is fitted, a non resistor type won't affect the secondary reading. If a resistor cap is fitted, you need to add about 5k to the expected secondary reading
gladders

Post by gladders »

Cheers chaps will try those tests, although no longer able to lick cap and kickover at same time so will have to use the starter button :lol:
GT750B, CBX1000, Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gladders wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 pm Cheers chaps will try those tests, although no longer able to lick cap and kickover at same time so will have to use the starter button :lol: