GT550 noisy clutch.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
normski

GT550 noisy clutch.

Post by normski »

Hi All, I've recently acquired a GT550M it starts on the button with no problem, although I thought it was a bit noisy on the clutch side of the engine but put it down of being in a small space ie the garage . I took it out on Saturday for the first time to see how performed and did 17 miles all sempt OK. Then I realised that the noise was louder as the bike got up to temp. The most worrying part was if the revs drop below 900 ie about to stall there was a SCREECHING sound as though something was DRY, from the same area. :shock: :( I checked the oil level when I got back home, it had 1.4 lites (dropped the oil to check it) should be 1.5.
I had the same SCREECHING sound on a Kawi Z650 some years ago and it turned out to be the starter clutch - but that was on startup and I don't seem to get it on startup on the 550, only as described above so I'm asking myself why would it be the starter clutch. :?
As anyone had the same problem? can any one HELP? :cry: .....Please :tw
The trouble with birthdays ... the more you have the less you have to look forward to. :( .
barney01

Re: GT550 noisy clutch.

Post by barney01 »

My first check would be to disassemble the clutch basket. But check everything as you do so. Check the pressure plate bolts are tight to start with. Then remove those and the plate. Carefully remove and check the steel and friction plates check for wear and that they are fitted in the right order. Next check that the main clutch nut is done up tight and the tab bent over. If that is tight remove it and pull the basket out. In the centre are two large needle roller cage bearings(the main suspect i think) check for wear and damage.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
normski

Post by normski »

barney01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm My first check would be to disassemble the clutch basket. But check everything as you do so. Check the pressure plate bolts are tight to start with. Then remove those and the plate. Carefully remove and check the steel and friction plates check for wear and that they are fitted in the right order. Next check that the main clutch nut is done up tight and the tab bent over. If that is tight remove it and pull the basket out. In the centre are two large needle roller cage bearings(the main suspect i think) check for wear and damage.
Thanks Barney, I'll do that may start tomorrow.

I've been looking at some Pic's (in various places) of the Starter clutch and basket.
But comes up with what seems to be different Picture info.
And - ie on Robertson Foundry (Suzuki spares) it shows the basket with what looks like to me the starter clutch attached to the back of it with the rollers,springs and pieces under the heading of CLUTCH PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR ASSY Old Part Number 21200-34000 .
And then another - under the heading of Starter Clutch is a pic of - STARTER IDLE GEAR (12611-34001) and a few other bits and I can't figure out how they all fit together, so I'm Confused :?

Not sure if the info is correct.
Q:. Do you have a pic to confirm where the actual starter clutch is and where on the basket it fits and put me out of my misery :( .
The trouble with birthdays ... the more you have the less you have to look forward to. :( .
normski

Post by normski »

barney01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm My first check would be to disassemble the clutch basket. But check everything as you do so. Check the pressure plate bolts are tight to start with. Then remove those and the plate. Carefully remove and check the steel and friction plates check for wear and that they are fitted in the right order. Next check that the main clutch nut is done up tight and the tab bent over. If that is tight remove it and pull the basket out. In the centre are two large needle roller cage bearings(the main suspect i think) check for wear and damage.
Is the needle roller you are referring to 09263-28001 :?:
barney01

Post by barney01 »

This is the exploded view of the clutch. There are 2 types a Suzuki, fitted 1972 and 1973 and it changed to a Borg Warner(pictured) 1974 on. The starter clutch is attached to the rear of the basket.
Item 6 is the bearings i was referring to.this is what they look like https://www.suzytwo.co.uk/ourshop/prod_ ... GT550.html
The idler gear connects the nose of the starter motor to the starter clutch.
Attachments
2021-03-08 19.44.41.png
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
normski

Post by normski »

Hi Barney , Just found and reading the post you did on May 7 2017 explains about the two different starter clutches etc so answers my Question.
Thanks. I suspect mine would be the Warner one as it is a M 1975.
normski

Post by normski »

barney01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm This is the exploded view of the clutch. There are 2 types a Suzuki, fitted 1972 and 1973 and it changed to a Borg Warner(pictured) 1974 on. The starter clutch is attached to the rear of the basket.
Item 6 is the bearings i was referring to.this is what they look like https://www.suzytwo.co.uk/ourshop/prod_ ... GT550.html
The idler gear connects the nose of the starter motor to the starter clutch.
Are these parts readily available, just in case they want replacing,?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The borg warner parts are available from Canaletto (on here) and so are the bearings, but this needs stripping and checking NOW before it knackers something totally. Never heard a bw starter make that sort of noise though.
I don't have any starter clutches now (sold my last 3 to Barney's mate and a guy at my local bike shop! Lots of other stuff for 550s though, but I'm a long way from you - in Wombwell near Barnsley! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
asco58

Post by asco58 »

barney01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm This is the exploded view of the clutch. There are 2 types a Suzuki, fitted 1972 and 1973 and it changed to a Borg Warner(pictured) 1974 on.
Service Bulletin GT 022-26.pdf
(282.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Hi

If you don't mind me adding something here; The US service bulletin regarding the starter clutch is dated August 1975. My 550 is a very early US M model which was manufactured in August 1974 which had the early 3 roller sprag clutch. I don't know exactly when they started fitting the Borg Warner clutch in the factory but it is my understanding that some proportion of M models have the early sprag clutch or originally had one. I think this would probably depend on the date of manufacture and country of origin.

Thanks
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Thanks for that info. Thats the first time i've heard that. I always understood the early clutches were replaced during the late K and early L models. The old style do work as long as they are maintained correctly. I suppose Suzuki would still use the old type until the shelf was empty.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE