GT550 noisy clutch.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Alan H

Re: GT550 noisy clutch.

Post by Alan H »

They all came from Japan in those days!
The US models were almost a year in front of UK bikes though. Some years ago I bought a US 550K made in August 1972 according to the frame plate. That was when our first 550J models were available here - I bought the first privately registered one on the 25th August 1972.
Also remember that ALL GT750s use the roller type sprag clutch and they work fine.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
willowden

Post by willowden »

Alan , you posted your reply at 6.04 am !!!!
I didn’t know there was two 6.04 s in the same day !!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Need less sleep as we get older for some reason..... :roll:
normski

Post by normski »

Alan H wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:23 pm The borg warner parts are available from Canaletto (on here) and so are the bearings, but this needs stripping and checking NOW before it knackers something totally. Never heard a bw starter make that sort of noise though.
I don't have any starter clutches now (sold my last 3 to Barney's mate and a guy at my local bike shop! Lots of other stuff for 550s though, but I'm a long way from you - in Wombwell near Barnsley! :lol:
Yes, your TOOOOOOOOOO far away from me I would have to walk it rather then use some sort of transpor. :roll: :lol:

PS:. I think i may have sorted it :o . I stripped the clutch cover off today and straight away sow the possible culprit,

The crankshaft primary gear NUT was loose moved it with my fingers :shock: Should be 58 NM. And at the same time stripped down the clutch (Borg Warner fitted) and looked in great order and same with the bearings etc.

All back together just bits and bobs,kick start,Oil, covers etc and then give it a run up the valley where I live in Loxley.

Thanks to ALL for the inputs.

Still not sorted the POPPING on the Kettle- The Swine. :evil: Been informed (by a Old Honda engineer) its called
4 stroking and its All down to FUEL :o . Hope to sort it in the next ten years or so - that's providing I don't run out of birthday that is :lol:
The trouble with birthdays ... the more you have the less you have to look forward to. :( .
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Sounds like you have a surging issue.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Just a quickie. You seem to know what you are doing but was the woodruff key in place? Also there should be a sprung lock washer to stop that nut working loose.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nothing worse than loose nuts as you get older.

So I'm told............ :roll:
normski

Post by normski »

barney01 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:41 am Just a quickie. You seem to know what you are doing but was the woodruff key in place? Also there should be a sprung lock washer to stop that nut working loose.
morning Barney, yes the Key is there and in place and also the cupped spring washer. Couldn't find the torque setting - so I used the one for my Yam RD350 LC, 58nm nice and TIGHT as we like them ;)
The trouble with birthdays ... the more you have the less you have to look forward to. :( .
normski

Post by normski »

Alan H wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:02 am Nothing worse than loose nuts as you get older.

Your right Alan and i should know im that age mate:oops:

So I'm told............ :roll:
normski

Post by normski »

Kettletimes3 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:36 pm Sounds like you have a surging issue.
On The Kettle ? yes that's what i'm lead to believe. Got too many projects and not enough time.