New to me gt750a

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Salmanz8

Re: New to me gt750a

Post by Salmanz8 »

Havnt done an exact plug chop at wot. To me it sounded lean, and i was a bit scared to push it too far for a chop, as the temp rises quickly. I can do one tomorrow perhaps, if that would help
But it sounds the classic boowaaah.
Then as i close the throttle it picks up again
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Float height shouldnt affect wide open correct ? Unless its ridiculously low, i guess at that point mid range would already be affected.
Midrange riding, plug is pretty mocha, may be a touch rich with the clip in 4th
3/4 to full is the problem portion.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Without checking the plugs it's difficult to judge. It could be fuel starvation at high demand (EG, fuel tap not flowing fast enough, too small fuel delivery pipe, fuel filter restricting flow, tank cap not allowing air into the gas tank fast enough) Lean is bad though so you are right to be wary of pushing it. Kev
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

canaletto5 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 am Without checking the plugs it's difficult to judge. It could be fuel starvation at high demand (EG, fuel tap not flowing fast enough, too small fuel delivery pipe, fuel filter restricting flow, tank cap not allowing air into the gas tank fast enough) Lean is bad though so you are right to be wary of pushing it. Kev
Fuel tap was cleaned when i cleaned the tank, and was flowing ok, unless something changed afterwards.
Fuel hose is stock. I thought of tank cap as well not venting, but will check it tomorrow.
This situation translates as loss of power in any gear, when in 3/4 to full throttle position.
Do you see the possibility of main jet or float bowl passages being the culprit ?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Not impossible but hard to know without checking if all carbs are performing in a similar way or if there are individual problems.

You say that you have set the jet needle heights to the 4th position. Do you mean 4th counting from the top of the needle or counting up from the bottom?
slosher

Post by slosher »

Any evidence of blue colour around any of the muffler/baffle areas,is the exhaust system clear.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teazer

Post by teazer »

It does sound like it's lean on the main jets and that suggests either restrictions in the fuel flow, low float levels or something blocked in the carbs.

Is there a Dyno shop anywhere close to you? I would tie it to a dyno and see what's going on with the air:fuel. If it's going lean, it should be obvious.
If there's no dyno close by, pull the carbs again. Check FUEL level - you will need an adapter and length of clear tube.

You could also check fuel flow. Pull the feed tube off the carb bank and stick it into a container then turn the fuel tap to PRIME and let it flow for at least a minute. See if it keeps flowing strongly or if flow tapers off to a dribble. The filter of the fuel tap could be partially blocked or there could be a partial blockage in the tap.
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

canaletto5 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:07 am Not impossible but hard to know without checking if all carbs are performing in a similar way or if there are individual problems.

You say that you have set the jet needle heights to the 4th position. Do you mean 4th counting from the top of the needle or counting up from the bottom?
4th from the top
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

slosher wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01 pm Any evidence of blue colour around any of the muffler/baffle areas,is the exhaust system clear.
Should have mentioned, over the winter the mufflers were pulled off, drained, baffles cleaned, new copper gaskets as will as silicon boots for the middle Y pipe.
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

slosher wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01 pm Any evidence of blue colour around any of the muffler/baffle areas,is the exhaust system clear.
No bluing and exhaust is clear