New to me gt750a

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
canaletto5

Re: New to me gt750a

Post by canaletto5 »

I would really start with a good flush out of the coolant, including back flushing the radiator. Kev
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Could you be so kind to lay out the steps for flush ?

Should i remove the rad and thermostat housing ?
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Anything in particular to look out for ?
Can the flow be verified while keeping the drain plug open ?
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

canaletto5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:25 am I would really start with a good flush out of the coolant, including back flushing the radiator. Kev
Could you be so kind to lay out the steps for flush ?

Should i remove the rad and thermostat housing ?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

You will need to remove the bottom drain plug at the front of the engine as well as the thermo housing. You could leave the rad on but it would be easier to remove it and flush out separately. It will give you a chance to check if any hoses are clogged. Plug the bottom hose spigot. Run hose water into the thermo housing and watch for flow out of the bottom drain plug. Kev
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

canaletto5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 am You will need to remove the bottom drain plug at the front of the engine as well as the thermo housing. You could leave the rad on but it would be easier to remove it and flush out separately. It will give you a chance to check if any hoses are clogged. Plug the bottom hose spigot. Run hose water into the thermo housing and watch for flow out of the bottom drain plug. Kev
👍 thanks
Will do that in the next couple of days and report back.
Hopefully the jacket is clear.
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

canaletto5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 am You will need to remove the bottom drain plug at the front of the engine as well as the thermo housing. You could leave the rad on but it would be easier to remove it and flush out separately. It will give you a chance to check if any hoses are clogged. Plug the bottom hose spigot. Run hose water into the thermo housing and watch for flow out of the bottom drain plug. Kev
Havnt taken off the radiator yet, but everything else looks nice and clean. I drained the coolant, filled with water, and flushed again. Thermostat is out, doesnt look bad, but havnt tested it yet.
But all the block passages are clear, and the pump does build pressure i can see that. By pass hose is clear as well.
The rad needs new hoses regardless.

Can you use a coolant system flush, like prestone ?
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Is there a way to test the temp sender unit ?
Also gauge calibration if it was reading wrong ?

Everything seems just fine, i am not sure if i see a problem.
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Flows great, which ever way i checked.
Didnt remove the rad from the bike, but tested back flushing, top bottom, and even bottom to neck and flows great.
The cylinder has all the passages perfectly clear.
I put the drain bolt back in and with the lower hose connected to rad, fill the cylinder with water through the thermostat housing, and at idle there wasnt overflowing, but right at 1500 rpm the level would start rising, so the pump is pumping.

By pass passage is clear.
The only two things, well three i havnt checked are thermostat, sender unit and the temp gauge calibration itself.

What am i missing ?

If i ground the sensor wire, the gauge does full sweep to max, cant see it doing much else.
Salmanz8

Post by Salmanz8 »

Coolant level hasnt gone down, nor i can see any coolant burning in the cylinder, plugs are clean, and no funky smoke either.